copyright help

timitm 21:00 03 Jun 04

how do you copy cds that have copyrights on them?

(for personal use)

I think you will find that you can copy CD's for your personal use , but not for making copies for anyone else. I use NERO 6 myself which I find to be excellent. If you are running Windows XP then the onboard recorder is perfectly adequate,but there are loads of other competent copying software about.

VoG II 21:15 03 Jun 04

'Cracks' or copyright infringement - we do not permit the posting of information that will enable other people to use pirated software or to evade the copyright laws. Please do not post serial numbers or CD keys, or links to sites that contain file-sharing software or such information.

timitm 18:33 04 Jun 04

hello sorry about the confusion, I was just asking if anyone has a program that could copy cds quickly with out any trouble, please take into acount that I have a very low budget as I am a student, free would be fantastic thanking you in advance.

€dstowe 18:35 04 Jun 04

Students on low budgets are not above the law.

Kate B 18:38 04 Jun 04

Um, isn't it a little unfair to assume that timitm wants to copy CDs for nefarious purposes? Most of the time everyone in this forum is wonderful: helpful, funny and great to talk to. But I do get fed up with the po-faced lectures about stuff that is and isn't legal. We're all grownups, aware of the copyright issues and sometimes it isn't very helpful merely to lecture.

I recall one thread where someone asked about what horrors they might download with P2P software that sparked a spate of lectures but nobody actually warned the poor poster that he risked all kinds of malware until I and a couple of other folk waded in with some non-judgmental advice.

tasslehoff burrfoot 23:15 04 Jun 04

but I am reliably informed that the "fair use" part of copyright law (the ability to copy a product that you have bought for your own personal use) is american and has no bearing in UK law.

This is being looked at as we speak but, as things stand, is still very much illegal in this country.

And we all have to remember that this forum is being hosted by a reputable company who cannot allow themselves to be associated with any illegal activity.

I'm not being poe-faced or trying to lecture but forums can be (and have been) closed down for allowing the discussion of (and thereby appearing to condone) illegal activity.

Tas

Dan the Confused 23:46 04 Jun 04

'Published by IDG Communications 2004
All material on this website is copyright © 2004. IDG Communcations Ltd. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of IDG Communications is prohibited.'

(From bottom of this page.)

Does this apply to printing, saving, copying & pasting etc any advice given in this forum?

Forum Editor 23:59 04 Jun 04

there's no 'fair use' rule in this country, and although pretty well every software company will turn a blind eye if you make a copy of a software CD for your own use, it's technically illegal.

We don't condone copyright infringement under any circumstances, and we certainly will not permit the posting of advice about how to beat the copyright protection on a CD - whether the person making the request says it's for personal use or not.

Forum Editor 00:03 05 Jun 04

Our copyright extends to all text posted in the forum from the moment it's posted, and although we have no objection at all if you want to copy and paste posts for your own archive - so you can refer to it later - we cannot permit the distribution of said text (by any means) to others.

johnsims 00:05 05 Jun 04

Am I right in thinking that most EULAs allow you to make a backup copy for your own personal use? Certainly some I've taken the trouble to read do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…