Copying/Transferring a Recovery Partition

morddwyd 08:13 15 Aug 14

I've fitted a new hard disc to my Acer Aspire, just an upgrade, but try as I might I cannot transfer the recovery partition.

No matter what I try, including recovery discs, it will not boot from the transferred partition. It gets close to completion and then hangs and says start again, which is most frustrating (It actually loops, and says "Installation will complete on restart")!

I've installed a retail copy of Windows *Win 7 64 bit) so I know the disc and computer are alight (I'm using it now) but I would like to have the back partitions in place if possible.

Any ideas?

Jollyjohn 08:22 15 Aug 14

If you still have the original hard drive you could try using Clonezilla to clone the original to the new. The actual command Clonezilla runs is "dd if source of target", which clones each and every bit across.

An alternative is to use Macrium Reflect to clone the disk. You will need to boot from Macrium again and "Repair Windows Boot issues" and this will give you a working Windows.

You could then create an image onto the original hard drive as a backup, admittedly you would need to boot from a cd to use it rather than the recovery partition.

morddwyd 20:06 15 Aug 14

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…