copying xp to cd's

Eargasm 21:23 27 Feb 04

Hi all
Bought a packard bell puter 2 years ago running xp home,the only backup that came with it was a red floppy recovery disc which is supposed to set the pc back to factory settings,the operating system is in a 2gb hidden partition on the hard drive,however if my hard drive failed and had to be replaced this would leave me with no operating system.There's a program on the pc. packard bell master cd creator which lets you free up the 2gb part of the drive by copying it to cd rom,can anyone tell me if this is my best option,and would it let me install xp on a new hdd should the worst happen.

Diodorus Siculus 21:44 27 Feb 04

My suggestion would be that you do a clean install of windows with all updates. Then create an image of it.

click here for details of backing up files, folders and disks.

hector 911 22:56 27 Feb 04

the 2Gb partition on your drive only holds the XP and software installed at setup from Packard Bell, not any other programs installed after you received pc.

I have used this system before, and if you follow the instructions to make backup cds,it will be far safer, incase these files become corrupted. you will need 3 or 4 cdr cds to copy them onto.

and as you say the 2Gb partition will be free

Eargasm 23:19 27 Feb 04

Thanks hector 911
I realise that the 2 gb partition only holds the original factory settings and no other software that i have since added ,but am i right in thinking that if i copy partition to cd's that it will at least get me up and running again if hard drive has to be replaced.

hector 911 23:31 27 Feb 04

if you insert the emergency disk "red disk" before boot, for your new drive, it will format drive for your recovery cds which it will ask for.

Eargasm 23:45 27 Feb 04

OK thanks hector
I will copy partition to cd's in the morning.
Thanks for your help

Eargasm 21:37 08 Mar 04

Hector 911
I have copied the partition to cd's but the extra 2 gb is not shown anywhere,according to the instructions it should now be available an a partioned drive D any ideas?

hector 911 21:53 08 Mar 04

after you created your master disks, did your pc go through a restart, if it did you should find your "virtual drive" under "My Computer"

what size is the pc showing for your hdd (c)
right click on (HDD) and click properties.

Eargasm 21:59 08 Mar 04

pc went through restart,and it also said the cd's (3 in all)were completed succesfully but the drive isn't showing in my computer, it just has drive C as 35.3 gb

Eargasm 22:42 11 Mar 04

Just wondering if anyone else had any ideas as to where the extra 2 gig has gone

woodchip 22:53 11 Mar 04

Drive Image would also copy the partition

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…