Copying XP app system files back after a crash

Zuckie 10:45 19 Jul 07

Am looking at a friends PC that crashed. Before that she thought that copying all the files on her sysrem from disk C to D would enable a rebuild.

Have reloaded XP - fine- Problem is that everytime I try to copy the Windoes directory to copy all the files placed there by the MANY applicatoions she had loaded I keep hitting the obvious message -file in use- and the copy is abandoned.

Is there anyway I can do a a windows directory copy without windows system actually working e.g. MSDOS mode or an application.

Dave

Press Man 11:14 19 Jul 07

If you have this months PCA mag and DVD then try Paragon Drive Copy 8.5 from the disk it will copy the complete drive if you want.

Zuckie 16:14 19 Jul 07

Press Man - thanks for the reply. Only one prob, we are in Italy.

Are there any apps I can get over the internet.

Dave

woodchip 16:40 19 Jul 07

You cannot copy Windows files back. main one is the registry

rawprawn 16:50 19 Jul 07
  Diemmess 17:53 19 Jul 07

Just as you have reinstalled Windows you will now have to install all the applications again from their proper CDs.

They have to integrate and have their place in the OS registry.

You may be able to recover some data files by searching for a remembered name amongst the stuff copied to D:
If you find one, note its path and try and find it using My Computer. With luck you may be able to find quite a lot though I'm not confident about old email.

For example, clicking on "letter.doc" will not open it until Word has been installed on the re-vamped drive.

In the future you need software that will lock the OS while making the restorable copy she thought she had.
rawprawn gave you a link to a very good program.
I found best value on Amazon (when I bought mine.)

You mentioned the MSDOS route.
XP doesn't know about DOS, and life could get quite complicated if you loaded it from an old boot floppy only to find the file structure didn't match......

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…