copying vhs cassette tapes to dvd

korvet 14:30 09 Jan 06

how does one transfer video cassette tapes to dvd.
CH

wjrt 15:19 09 Jan 06

easiest and probably quickest is to use a DVD recorder under £80 at Tesco/Argos etc

pj123 17:14 09 Jan 06

Why not try typing vhs to dvd in to the Forum Search Engine. Lots of previous threads with lots of information.

For example: click here

johndrew 17:22 09 Jan 06

I would agree with wjrt, but, if you want to edit the content on your PC you will need to ensure:

1) the disk format (+/-R/RW) is compatible with your PC DVD drive

2) that the editing software will import from DVD and that the audio format is compatible

3) for output back to DVD - presuming you are using PAL format - you will need to ensure your software is PAL compatible and that the audio output is either PCM or MPEG

There are probably other pitfalls as well but I haven`t encountered them yet!!

HXP 22:48 10 Jan 06

I have tried the PC route and the best thing I ever did was buy a LITEON5045 hook my Video to it and press record - it was as simple as that and far better than anything I did on the PC !

If you just want to convert your home recorded VHS to DVD it is a good option

My opinion only I now wait to get toasted by the PC experts ....

pj123 14:54 11 Jan 06

HXP, my opinion also. I have the Liteon 5006 DVD standalone recorder. It copies in real time, ie. a 3 hour tape (VHS/Beta) takes 3 hours. The only snag I have found is, there are no editing facilities, other than watching and pressing the Pause button at the relevant times.

Doing the same tape via the PC (I use Pinnacle Studio) takes at least 7 hours, but of course, it can be edited before burning.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos