Copying VCR tapes to computer

dracsville 13:13 06 May 06

I need advice on copying my old Hi8 and VCR tapes to computer. Would any TV card do it or is there a particular one that's best suited to the job? Would I need to connect scart cable as well as ordinary aerial lead?

Bagsey 13:27 06 May 06

More info on the equipment you now have would be of help. Eg. You say you want to copy your OLD Hi8 tapes. I read this as, you have now moved on to Digital. Am I right. Some digital camers have a pass through facility to allow you to convert analogue video to digital to get it onto the computer. That is what I use. Then you can use any video editing program to clean up you video and put it out to CD or DVD.Early this year,I think, the cover disc had Ulead video 7 as a freebie. I have used it and it is OK. Anyway give us more info on your computer and camera gear and I am sure we can help you to get the answer you need. There are very many options.

dracsville 15:02 08 May 06

Thanks Bagsey. I have no video camera at present but believe I'd need a digital8 if I'm to copymy old Hi8 tapes to computer. I'm about to buy a new computer with 256MB GEFORCE 6800GS PCI Express + DVI + TV-OUT card. Just for now I would like to know about copying VCR tapes and what would be the best TV card before I order one with my new computer. Perhaps it would be better to buy a card separately afterwards? If so, what is the best one and is there anything else I should be careful about?

pj123 15:16 08 May 06

You will need some sort of capture device.

I use Pinnacle Dazzle Fusion.

But if you type vhs to dvd into the Forum Search box you will get lots of previous threads, all giving good advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…