//some 3rd party need geo

Copying text from a pdf

Tycho 18:59 08 Nov 05

As a physics teacher I do a fair amount of writing of schemes of work as such. I have downloaded the specification,which is a pdf file from the OCR web site. when I come to selct chunks of text to use in my own planning documents I find that they are copied as gobbledegook. this is something that has only recently happened. I have done the same thing loads of times before and there has been no problem.

Any ideas?

T

palinka 19:06 08 Nov 05

I think what I do is to highlight the chunk of text, right click and click copy. Then open a blank Word doc and Paste it in, then save that with a suitable name. Insert this word doc into your plans as you would any other doc. But it's some time since I had occasion to do this and I may have misremembered.

Skills 19:08 08 Nov 05

It could also be that the pdf file is protected.

TomG 19:09 08 Nov 05

I don't think you can do that anymore - I believe you can applications that allow you access to the text - some may be free some not (but will be cheaper than the full blown edition of reader.

Tycho 19:09 08 Nov 05

That's what I have always done in the past but it does not work with this document.

Josie2805 19:10 08 Nov 05

Right click & make sure allow hand tool select text is ticked.

Tycho 19:11 08 Nov 05

How would I tell? I can read the document ok on the screen. I just can't select and copy.

T

Rigga 19:19 08 Nov 05

If you have broadband you could downloading and then try opening the file in Open Office, which seems to allow a lot more than any pdf reader does.

Open Office > click here <

HTH. R.

Hamish 19:27 08 Nov 05

I am not sure if this is correct but try clicking on the select button on the toolbar and then highlight and copy,

anchor 09:57 09 Nov 05

Have just tried this: open the pdf, then under Edit, select copy file to clip board. Open a blank doc in MS Word, then paste. Adjust font and size as desired.

It works.

GroupFC 10:45 09 Nov 05

It might help if you could post a link to the .pdf file and then somebody could have a look at it and try and solve your problem.

I have just had a look at what I think is the right site and opened a few random .pdf files and they all copied and pasted, without a problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…