Copying Text from Excel to Works 9 Database

bartonside 14:49 20 Dec 09

This is puzzzling. I have recently bought a new computer (I won't bother you with the compatability problems I have) which has Windows 7. It has Works 9 and all my old Works databases, spreadsheets and word documents have transferred succesfully. I receive regular updates to one Works database via an Excel spreadsheet and there has never been a problem transferring material across to the database. Now it refuses to copy from Excel to the database but will do it the other way round. All I get is, mysteriously, the word Picure in the chosen database cell. Any ideas?

bartonside 18:13 20 Dec 09

Bumped

VoG II 18:19 20 Dec 09

Try Edit > Paste Special.

bartonside 21:52 21 Dec 09

Thank you for your suggestion b ut I can't quite see how this would work as you can't paste until you have copied and Works 9 doesn't a paste special. To repeat, copying works fine from Works to Excel but not the other way round.

jaraba 09:43 22 Dec 09

Try saving the excel sheet as a works sheet and then copy it.
Or convert the lot to excel and just use that.

VoG II 18:00 22 Dec 09

A bit of a pain but try

Copy from Excel

Paste into Notepad

Copy from Notepad

Paste into Works Database

bartonside 22:08 02 Jan 10

I am re-starting this as I have been away over the Christmas period. Jaraba suggested saving the excel sheet as a works sheet - can't see a way to do this. Can't find notepad either! The crucial point is that I use the database to print address labels so the material I receive on excel sheets just HAS to be transferred to the Works dtabase. No matter what I try, I just get a cell containing the word Picture.

VoG II 14:20 03 Jan 10

Notepad normally resides in All Programs > Accessories. If it isn't there, Start > Run, enter

notepad

and click OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple