Copying tape to DVD to view on pc??

sheila.weston 17:23 26 Jan 11

I am copying some tapes to DVDs in my Toshiba DVD and VCR recorder. They will not work when I put them into the disk drive of my computer. Is there any way for making them playable in a pc?

At the moment I am using DVD-R disks, which I understand (from the manual) supports only V-mode recording. The manual says that DVD-RAM disks support VR mode recording. Would this make any difference?

Thanks for any advice. A thought - could I link up the Recorder with the laptop in any way?

lotvic 17:48 26 Jan 11

Do they play ok on the TV? (meaning have they burnt to DVD sucessfully)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:23 26 Jan 11

You need to "finish" the DVDs in the Toshiba before they will play on any other machine including a PC.

Just look for 2Finish" in the Toshibas menu

sheila.weston 09:49 27 Jan 11

Thankyou. No, they haven't been 'finished' as they played OK on the TV without. I'll try this.

dasli 13:15 27 Jan 11

thanks for information

sheila.weston 20:31 27 Jan 11

Success!

I realise that this is off- thread, slightly, but can anyone recommend a good forum for problems relating to copying VCRs over to DVD disks (on my Toshiba recorder). I am wasting HOURS, as something always go wrong eg I want to copy from three separate hours from three tapes onto one DVD and they end up in the wrong order on the DVD.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:49 27 Jan 11

Provided you recorded them in the right order it should ply them in the same order.

Check you haven't got it set to "random play" or "shuffle"

Terry Brown 20:58 27 Jan 11

sheila.weston

Use a DVD burning program (I currently use Nero 7) but there other (free) ones out there.

I assume you are transferring the Video tapes to your harddrive first, normally in MPEG format.

Use your favourite DVD burner and transfer from harddrive to DVD, in the order you want them.

Personally I would use 1 DVD for each film.

If you want to get 3 hours of video onto a DVD, you will either get a very poor quality, or the burn process will fail.

A DVD should be able to take upto 2 hours of standard MPEG or about 25 minutes of High Defination MPEG.

Hope this helps
Terry

sheila.weston 15:27 28 Jan 11

Success! Thanks, again.

Can anyone suggest a forum which might help with some other problems I am having with copying from several tapes to a DVD - they copy over in the wrong order!

sheila.weston 09:55 29 Jan 11

Sorry, something went wrong with my posts there.

I'll mark this thread as resolved, as I obviously need to get more experience on copying.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…