Copying system drive etc onto new HD (with Ghost)

greggo999 23:13 14 Nov 05

Am I doing the right/simplest thing?

I have 2x 40GB HD.
My master HD is failing and I've ordered a new 120GB Seagate Barracuda to replace it.

I want to copy everything, including WinXP system files, programs and my personal files onto the new drive. In preparation, i've copied the entire C:drive onto DVD using Norton Ghost 9.0.

Do i also need to save the partition info on the old HD (there are 3 partitions in total)or has Ghost done this for me when I saved C:drive? If not, can Ghost do this, or should I use Partition Magic before taking out my old HD?

Also I assume I can just save my personal, non-system, files straight to DVD without faffing around with Ghost?

Help appreciated - done a search, nothing quite hits the spot.

mgmcc 23:51 14 Nov 05

If you have created a backup of "C" drive (an "image" file) restoring that image to a new hard drive will put the contents of your old "C" drive into the entire new drive, unless you have created partitions and can select the one to restore into. An image file of "C" drive won't recreate the old drive's partition structure in the new drive. You would either have to backup the contents of each partition separately and restore into a similar partition structure in the new drive or, the simpler solution would be to install the new drive as a slave drive and "clone" your existing drive into it. That will retain the complete partition structure. Then install the new drive as Primary Master to boot from it. You would need Partition Magic to resize the partitions having cloned a 40GB drive into 120GB, which should leave 80GB as "unallocated" space on the drive.

greggo999 00:04 15 Nov 05

Ok that makes sense, thanks.
I'll install my new drive as a slave drive and clone my existing drive into it.

But can I have 3 drives installed at the same time whist doing this, as I already have an existing slave drive? Rather not interfere with this as I'm happy with it as it is.

mgmcc 09:10 15 Nov 05

Personally, to be safe, I would temporarily disconnect your existing slave drive. For the short time you are going to have the new drive connected as slave (in order to clone your master drive) you could just swap the IDE and power cables from the current slave to the new drive. Set its jumpers accordingly, but it doesn't need to be screwed into the hard drive bay until you are ready to replace the existing master drive. Leave your current slave drive mounted in its bay, because that's where it stays.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…