Copying SP2 to CD problem Again.

rawprawn 13:49 12 Aug 04

click here For earlier posting. I have downloaded Window SP2 yet again this time to Desktop. I amstill unable to copy, move, drag the file to CD or anywhere for that matter. I get the message "Windows XPSP2 is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that may be using the file and try again" If I try to close down or restart my computer it won't let me and I get the message "Windows is currently working with a file, either close it, or wait for Windows to finish before you quit windows" This is driving me mad,There must be a setting somewhere on this computer that has changed, I have never had this problem before. Any help greatly appreciated.I am already running XPSP2, I just want a copy on disc.

rawprawn 14:15 12 Aug 04

I have just managed to copy it to disc, but using Pinnacle Instant Disc. I still cannot drag,copy,or move as normal. Neither can I turn the computer off.

rawprawn 14:49 12 Aug 04

My computer is back to normal after doing a System Restore, and I can now copy, move files etc.I won't close this thread yet as I would like to understand what happened, so if anyone has any ideas I would be pleased to hear them.

xania 16:46 12 Aug 04

My only thought is that, when you clicked on the icon, you may have started the program running - in which case, of course, it would be locked until complete. If you're looking at a straight move, why not do it in DOS?

roy 16:52 12 Aug 04

I downloaded it to Desktop yesterday. Just experimentally I have just created a New folder and dragged SP2 into it with no problem.

rawprawn 16:58 12 Aug 04

I wondered about that too the first time I tried, so I was very careful next time but that was not the reason. How do you do it in DOS ?
Roy I can do it OK now, but I am trying to find out what went wrong so that I can avoid it happening again.

xania 09:17 13 Aug 04

I don't think you can load straigth into DOS with an XP system. You need a bootable floppy disc with CD drivers (98SE works perfectly). At the a:\ prompt type the command:

copy c:\ d:\

where c:\ and d:\ are the current and receivinng drive names.

woodchip 09:34 13 Aug 04

You would have to firs create a folder in the Root of C:\ and name it with a short Name Example RAW or just R. Then you have to find the path to the File, as at the DOS prompt although it is not in DOS it act's as if it was, in other words it can only see short Names.
Then you would go to the DOS Prompt in windows, Start\Accessories\Command Prompt at the Prompt you would type

Copy "File Pathe" then leave a Space between C:\ R or RAW

So if XXXXXXX would be the File Path it would look like

C:\>copy XXXXXXX C

woodchip 09:37 13 Aug 04

That would be

woodchip 09:46 13 Aug 04

Best way is to try the above just by putting a file in a easy location without long file names. As it can be harder to find the path. To find a Path in DOS you have to DIR each Directory like C:\DIR it would show the files in C:\ you would note the Directory to look in from what you found then DIR it. Writing down the path as you go, till you find the file

woodchip 09:52 13 Aug 04

Forgot to had that DOS does things like this to shorten file names. If you was in Window and you looked in Program Files the path in windows would be

C:\Program Files

in DOS it would be

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…