copying and reading e-mails from 98se to xp

leslito 10:30 25 Aug 03

What is the best way to transfer my outlook express files to my new laptop? I intend to give away the old computer but want to save and use my e-mail folders straight away. If I copy the files to a CD-RW , the xp on the lap top cn't open them - or at least I can't tell it what to do!
I'm stuck!
Les

Piggy,Piggy 10:31 25 Aug 03

Why not recreate the folders on Laptop and then email the emails to it

DieSse 10:39 25 Aug 03

You need to copy the store folder (the one with all the email files in - inbox/outbox/etc) to your CD

The copy the folder onto your new system, and change the "read-Only" property, if it is set.

Then you can run Import from OE - and follow the wizard. When it asks you to browse to the store folder - you browse TO the folder containing the files, not into it.

Don't forgat your address book either - it's a .wab file - adn you can copy and import that too.

Or you could try this click here

leslito 10:40 25 Aug 03

You mean forward the messages to myself? I had thought of that but was thinking it would take a long time/be relatively expensive. It has the advantage of being foolproof, though!
I just think there must be a dead obvious way of doing it, otherwise all these portable gadgets would not be able to communicate with each other.

leslito 10:46 25 Aug 03

thanks PP and Diesse
I'll try these routes. The step of copying from the cd to the new system is probably the bit I was overlooking. I'll give it a go.

leslito 10:56 25 Aug 03

Bingo!
Thanks for your help: pats on the back all round.
The copying bit did the trick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…