Copying programs between computers

charliep 15:12 14 Oct 03

I'm getting a new computer and don't want to spend hours/days/weeks loading up my programs and resetting all the settings again. Is there a way to copy the programs and settings direct from one computer to the other?

Jester2K II 15:13 14 Oct 03

You need to reinstall as there are various files that need to go to various folder and various registry settings that need setting up.

Simply copying across won't achieve that.

charliep 16:15 14 Oct 03

Thanks Jester2K II. I'm aware of that requirement. However, I seem to recall hearing about a program that did that. Not just copied the files across but set up the registry files too.

recap 16:27 14 Oct 03

If you have a network running then it is possible to do a remote installation, but you need to have one computer loaded with everything you need first. Remeber the licensing laws on copying programs, if it is OEM then you can run the software on one other machine.

Diemmess 17:06 14 Oct 03

You can try Norton Ghost or Drive Image which will make "image" copies of your existing HD/s and store them in sufficient space on the old HD, and later "restore" the image/s to the new HD.

You are changing hardware and possibly O.System as well, so it might be a bumpy ride and a waste of time, if you cannot tweak the finished result in its new environment.

pj123 17:26 14 Oct 03

Well, you could use xxcopy from click here which will copy everything from your old hard drive to your new one. But as Jester2K II says it won't do you much good. Your new computer will probably have a completely different MB than your old one and you will continuously get lots of error and found new hardware messages when you boot. OK so it will take a bit of time but it would be much simpler to re-install all your programmes on to your new computer from scratch.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…