Copying pre-recorded CD's file format req'd?

Dave21 08:59 01 Nov 04

I want to copy Pre-recorded CD's onto a blank CD. I have tried unsuccessfully all weekend using MusicMatch and Windows Media Audio PLayer.
I can copy the pre recorded CD files onto my hard drive OK but when I drag and drop them onto a blank CD-R they write OK to the CD, bu I can only listen to them throught my dodgy PC speakers.

Is there a file format I should convert the files to if I want to listen to the CD on my hi-fi. Currently I am getting a 'No disc' message on my hi-fi. I have tried .mp3 format and .wav format with no luck.

I am running Windows XP Pro.

smokingbeagle 09:29 01 Nov 04

If your Hi-Fi will play CD-R and whether it plays MP3 format. If it does recognise CD-Rs then,someone on this format will know the format that you should use.

cherria 09:32 01 Nov 04

You're unlikely to get much help on CD copying from this forum. I suggest you look elsewhere. Google will turn up hundreds of possibilities for you.

smokingbeagle 11:09 01 Nov 04

not format

Newuser4165 11:46 01 Nov 04

You need to copy the files to the hard drive as .wav files .You can use Musicmatch to do this - check the record settings under options.
You then burn them back to cd using burning software such as Nero or Roxio.I,m not certain if you can use WinX's own burning program.

Simsy 13:21 01 Nov 04

I suspect, that you are making a "data" CD. For it to play in your Hi-Fi it needs to be an "Audio" CD, and has to be "burnt" as such.

(I understand some of the latest CD players can play data cd's with mp3 data, but I also understand that these are in the minority.)

Regards,

Simsy

stlucia 13:40 01 Nov 04

Depending on your burning software, you may be able to copy or duplicate a CD (for personal backup use only) directly from its menu without having to bother with saving tracks onto your HDD -- the software will read the original disk and put the necessary data into a temporary file, and then prompt you to put a blank disk into your burner.

As Simsy says, if you have got the music tracks on your HDD, you need to tell your burning software to "Create a music CD" (or something like that) if you want it to play in most domestic CD players.

Dave21 13:51 01 Nov 04

I was given the option to burn an audio CD which I ticked.
However still the HI-Fi refused to recognise it.
Tried a 'data' burn as well to no avail.
Every time the information does 'write' to the CD but is not listenable.

Simsy 14:29 01 Nov 04

Most audio CD players will not read CDRWs, but they will read CDRs, due to the difference in reflectivity.

Perhaps this is part of the problem?

Regards,

Simsy

stlucia 15:27 01 Nov 04

Burning an 'audio CD' should do the trick -- a 'data CD' certainly won't work on most hi-fi systems. Have you tried to play the CDs you've burned on another domestic CD player to isolate whether you've got a burning problem or a playing problem?

How old is the CD player in your hi-fi system? It may be just that it isn't happy with CD-Rs, or perhaps it's even the make of CD-R that's the problem.

woodchip 15:35 01 Nov 04

USE NERO and choose copy disc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5