COPYING OUTLOOK CONTACTS AND EMAILS

Brian the Snail 19:03 30 Dec 10

Is there an easy way to copy Outlook contacts and emails from one computer to another?

Ian in Northampton 20:00 30 Dec 10

It probably depends which version of Outlook you're using. I use 2003, and it's pretty simple - just locate your .pst file and copy/paste it. I believe the default location for Outlook 2003/XP is C:\Documents and Settings\Yourname\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst

Ian in Northampton 20:03 30 Dec 10

By the way: you'll either need to copy it to the same location on the new computer, or 'import' it into Outlook from whatever location you've put it in using Outlook's File - Import/Export feature.

By the way: Magic Roundabout fan are you? ;p)

Brian the Snail 20:21 30 Dec 10

I am using Outlook 2007 and Windows 7. Cannot locate the pst files!
Long live the "Magic Roundabout"1

Ian in Northampton 09:22 31 Dec 10

Brian: in that case, either

a) do a search on your C: drive for *pst, or
b) go to Outlook, right click on 'Personal Folders', click on Properties, click on Advanced and the file location should be there.

Well, it is on Outlook 2003, anyway...

"Goodnight," said Zebedee.

onthelimit 10:35 31 Dec 10

Wasn't it "time for bed, etc "

Ian in Northampton 10:49 31 Dec 10

Possibly/probably... It was a long time ago. :-)

southhead 11:41 31 Dec 10

Brian the Snail:
In Windows 7 you should find the pst files in C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\
I'm using Outlook 2003 not 2007 so there may be a difference in your case. Also, I’m fairly sure those folders are hidden by default. As Ian suggests, just copy and paste the pst files to the new location.

Chris the Ancient 12:43 31 Dec 10

Having just (literally) done it with Outlook 2003 on my XP machine,using the info given by southhead, I can confirm that system works.

BUT... it won't copy your Account Settings - export the settings to a disk at the same time as you copy the .pst files.

john bunyan 13:02 31 Dec 10

Here is a good guide:

click here

I used it to move my .pst file from my OS (C) partition) to my data partition.
As southhead says, do "Show hidden files" before looking in the location he mentions.

Brian the Snail 20:44 31 Dec 10

Got there at last! Thanks! The link suggested by John is very good. I have printed it out for future use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…