Copying old vinyls to PC

ElephantRhino 12:53 27 Oct 05

Does anyone know a good way to off-load old vinyls from the hi-fi to store on the pc?

amonra 13:44 27 Oct 05

Get yourself an audio pre-amp from Maplins,(about ?12) plug your old 33 player into it and plug the other end into audio-in on your sound card. Easy peasy.

GBL 15:51 27 Oct 05

You don't need a pre amp if you have a jack piont for ear phones plug into that and into your sound card, you will hear the vinyl through your PC.
This site tells you about it click here
I use a different program which is free called Audio grabber, but there are several out there, a google search should find them.

pj123 17:32 27 Oct 05

You might like to look at some of these previous threads?

click here

paddyjack 18:50 27 Oct 05

another mag Computeractive has an article about it in the current issue.

ElephantRhino 20:13 28 Oct 05

Thanks all - lots of good info here

ruskle 20:36 28 Oct 05

I bought a Bush turntable from Argos for 49 quid, it included a pre-amp and lead which just plugged into my mike socket on laptop. I use CLEAN which is a cheapish program and this takes the input sound and stores onto a folder of your choice, it also has facities to clean your old tracks, you can even leave a LP playing right through and it will sort out the tracks after. Upto now I have converted 200 single 45's and 200 LP's to MP3's and put them onto CD's for use in car. Takes a long time and brings back memories as you listen to them as you transfer them,

Russell

josie mayhem 20:50 28 Oct 05

I use a bush turntable (the pre-amp switch is located on the bottom)you can also connect speaker wires into your line-in, you will need a 3.MM single jack to two RCA jacks, and female to female connector(s), the latter you can get from a music shop or from a hi-fi shop (I've got a block of three) the cost of my cabling and connectors came to under £10, and it produces a lovely set up.

P.S

When you first set it all up, do a test run, by turning your sound right down, then adjust your volume, my neighbours weren't that chuffed the first time I used my set-up and my ears did hurt...

Kenneth-266656 20:55 28 Oct 05

Try click here You might need a pre-amp - depends on your player.

daba 00:45 29 Oct 05

Please, Please, DON'T connect your speaker outputs to your 'line-in' socket on the PC sound-card, as Josie suggests. (Sorry Josie - Bad Advice).

The risk of damaging your sound card input is all too great. Even a VERY low volume setting may be too much for the PC sound-card input to handle.

Line-in signals are typically 100 mVolts (0.1 Volts) peak to peak. Thats about the equivalent of a VERY flat AA battery.

If you did try a flat battery on your hifi speakers - touching the spaeker wires to the battery ends - you will produce a barely audible click from the speaker. Thats the sort of level you would need on the hi-fi volume to get some sort of parity between your hifi output and your line-in input.

Go for the pre-amp method from your record deck, (see my post click here ), or if your hi-fi has a 'line-out' socket you can connect that to 'line-in' on your PC.

BTW : I have over 30 years experience in electronics and audio.

griffon 56 01:21 29 Oct 05

Strongly agree with daba, only ever connect a pre-amp signal to audio input sockets, never a power amp which typically feeds the speakers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…