//some 3rd party need geo

Copying MPEG files to DVD

sash99 12:27 31 Jul 03

This is probably a silly question but can you copy MPEG files only to a DVD?

I am trying to use Nero Express to copy some MPEG2 files I have created (using Vegas Video) onto DVD, however, it doesn't seem to like these files as it only seems to read .vob, .if something extensions for copying to DVD but MPEG files can be copied to VCD.

I have managed to create VCD's and SVCD's with the MPEG files but the quality of the picture isn't any good.

Is there a better software package to use than Nero that will copy these files for me?

Thanks

stlucia 13:27 31 Jul 03

If you want to create a DVD that can be run on your domestic DVD player and telly, you don't just copy the MPEG2 files onto the DVD.

You have to use the option that will "Create a DVD" -- at least, that's what it is in the Sonic MyDVD software which came with my Sony burner. This will install the software that's needed to enable your domestic machine to read the video files, as well as downloading the MPEG2 files.

y_not 17:34 31 Jul 03

MPEG2 works fine for VCD/SVCD but you are right that the DVD player looks for VOB files.

These are MPEG2 files that have been encoded (authored) for DVD.

Most video editing software includes the authoring software, as stlucia say "Create a DVD" in Sonic or "Make movie" in Pinnacle will convert the files to VOB files but be warned its not that straightforward!

The VOB files sit in a folder called VIDEO_TS and the editing software also produces another file called AUDIO_TS. It is these two files (even though the AUDIO_TS file is empty) that your DVD player reads.......Oh, also the AUDIO_TS file MUST come before the VIDEO_TS file on the DVD or the DVD won't be recognised!

Nero is great for the burning but you will have to have the DVD plug-in.

If you enjoyed making SVCD's then producing DVD's will be more "Fun" than you can imagine!

Hope this helps
Tony

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…