Copying home made DVD's on XP

Stressed Mum 16:24 24 Feb 08

I have never had to try and do this before and have come across a very frustrating problem. I have a D drive and E drive. Purchased Dell Dimension about 3 years ago asking for facilities to copy cd and dvds. But now that I have come around to needing the facility I find I can't do it. I put my home made DVD into drive D and I get message that says you need to insert disc. I can put the DVD in drive E and it plays ok. I can put a CD in both drives with results. Very annoying - can anyone suggest anything please? I have been into device manager and reinstalled and rebooted. Thanks. SM :(

Terry Brown 16:32 24 Feb 08

To copy a CD from windows is very easy, just send the file to yor hard drive and windows will prepare it for you. If you need to copy a DVD you will need a program like Nero Express, or similar DVD burning software. The following link may help. click here

Terry

Stressed Mum 16:38 24 Feb 08

I have already tried the simple copy over but it says cannot find specified path?? I thought I'd be able to copy the DVD over to a folder then burn from the folder - I do have DVD and CD burning software. I also thought, that I could do it directly from one disc to other (d to E) without having to transfer it all to the PC first? Don't have a problem copying CD's - just the DVD's.

Joe R 16:40 24 Feb 08

Stressed Mum,

it sounds like you may have a dvd burner, (drive E) and a cd burner, (drive D).

The program below will allow you to copy your dvd's, and is also free.

click here

Stressed Mum 17:01 24 Feb 08

Joe R - thanks for that - just downloaded it - looks frightening. Is this something you're used to? So many icons and options, just don't know where to start. I'll have to do some homework.... no quick way I presume?

Joe R 17:08 24 Feb 08

Stressed Mum,

I cross posted with you on my last posting, and did not realise you already have dvd burning software.
Can I ask which program it is.?

Stressed Mum 17:12 24 Feb 08

When I say using - I haven't actually used it - but do have Power DVD (just go that with new camcorder) and Cyberlink with Dell and Sonic with Dell. also, just download DeepBurner (from another post)

Stressed Mum 17:16 24 Feb 08

I think the best way forward for me is to simply copy the DVD from E drive to 'some'where' on PC THEN copy/burn it onto new DVD. These are simple home movies I have just copied over from VHS to DVD and now want to recopy them for other members of the family. Nothing complicated here - thought it would be a simple task??

brundle 17:17 24 Feb 08

IMGBurn makes it simple; click here

Stressed Mum 17:19 24 Feb 08

Hi brundle. Nice to chat again!! Going to download that right now...

Stressed Mum 17:40 24 Feb 08

Nope! Getting nowhere here - downloaded the lot and it's not helping me. Looks like I need to pay for an upgrade to the standard version. (but not absoloutely sure) Simply doesn't like me. surely there must be a way of taking the information from the DVD and keeping it until I am ready to burn it - thought WM would do this??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…