Copying from HD to HD

dstarr78 16:00 13 Sep 04

Hi

I currently have a 60GB hard drive, but am running out of space, so I am wondering if I could just buy a bigger hard drive (say 120GB) put that in as a slave and then just do a direct copy of all my files onto the bigger HD, and then reboot the system with the 120GB HD as the master, and act as if nothing happened.

Would this work?

xania 16:05 13 Sep 04

This will work fine on all drives except the bootable ones, where some files are hidden system files. Now you could remove those attributes buit you will then have to put them back again before your system will boot correctly. Alternatively, you could use a partition manager to copy all your drives from the old HD to the new, or you could ghost the partition and restore it to the new drive.

TomJerry 16:38 13 Sep 04

There are many, r.g. True Image from Acronics click here, Copy Commany from VCome click here, driveclone from farston click here, Exactimage from Paragon click here

TomJerry 16:41 13 Sep 04

HD Clone click here, G4U click here, PC INSPECTOR™ clone maxx click here

dstarr78 20:07 13 Sep 04

Thanks.

Using that HD Clone, is it a simple process?

Will I have to do anything else other than just use that program?

R4 20:32 13 Sep 04

If you happen to purchase a new Maxator HDD they have a utility (Maxiblast)that formats the new drive and copies your original O/S etc to the new drive. . Not sure if other makes have a simular utility.

Or use Norton Ghost and make a clone of your exiting HDD on your new one. It is very easy

Alf58 00:18 14 Sep 04

I did as you propose with a Western Digital hard disk. It came with a floppy disk called "lifeguard". It just copied content of old disk to new. Completely hassle free.

Stuartli 10:57 14 Sep 04

Western Digital's website also has full downloads of HDD utilities which can be used, IIRC, with any hard drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…