copying files from win 98 to XP

palinka 20:00 09 Aug 07

My sister wants to transfer all the files from her old Win 98 to an XP computer.
She's bought a flash drive but the 98 doesn't recogniose it and wants to download drivers. But then It apparently can't install the drivers.
Any advice please? I don't know which model flash drive but she bought it from Viking (1Gb for 6.99).
She has a CD writer in the 98, and has Nero, but has never used either - if possible I'd liike to avoid talking her through burning with Nero.
The Win XP doesn't have a floppy drive, so that's out.

VoG II 20:03 09 Aug 07

Using a cable click here

bremner 20:04 09 Aug 07

Take the hard drive out of the 98 machine. Set the jumper to slave and then connect it up to the XP box.

Boot the machine, the hard drive will be seen and she can copy whatever data she wants from the 98 disk to her XP disk.

If you do not know how to make the connection post back and we will tell you.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:33 09 Aug 07

At 6.99 ex VAT i assume its the Ativa USB1.0 1G pen drive.

Windows 98SE info and drivers click here

palinka 22:29 09 Aug 07

thanks for all that.
I think I'll go for downloading the drivers for 98SE as Fruit Bat /\0/\ suggests. Then copy to disk and send it to her.
But to my surprise she may even cope with Nero - just spoken to her and she's found the right bit of it and is at least as far as putting files onto it. Now she just has to find the CDRW that I gave her some time ago. I'll keep my fingers crossed. As she's scarcely ever got as far as right clicking anything or having 2 windows open at a time this is a major step!
I'll avoid removing hard drives at the moment, Bremner, not least because I'm 100 miles away from the 2 machines involved; But it would be useful to know how to make the connection as that is the neatest solution and it occurs to me that i may be able to use that to deal with another, unrelated task.
I can't make use of VoG™'s cable suggestion , I'm afraid, given the distance, etc.
Thank you all.

palinka 18:42 10 Aug 07

she managed to burn the files to CD, so the job is done. Thanks everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now