Copying files from old to new PC

chrismuir 22:09 15 Aug 04

Hi

Am planning to get a new PC rather than updating individual components of my current one. When I get the new PC, is there a cable I can buy to link the two together to allow me to transfer all my files?? Obviously will do a new install of all software, but all my personal pics and documents I don't want to have to copy on CD's if I can avoid it.

Also, when selling an old PC, is it advisable to format the hard drive and do a fresh install of Windows to remove any user files?

Ta

Chris

User-312386 22:15 15 Aug 04

Are the both computers running XP?

If they are go to start>all programmes>accessories>system tools>files and settings transfer wizard

Or

Back up all your pictures etc etc on CD-RS

**nada** 22:20 15 Aug 04

Also if both computers have network cards you could link them directly together using a network cable. The network cable would have to be specifically a crossover cable (not a patch cable) as it would be linking the 2 computers directly.

daisy2bell 23:01 15 Aug 04

You could also go for bluetooth. I have tried this and even large files (photo's etc) transfer in seconds.

safemode 09:37 16 Aug 04

c'mon lads,

You can connect two pc's using the following techniques:

direct connection using network crossover cable (as mentioned above) you can also a parellel (printer) cable, a USB cable or a firewire cable.

you can use software to assist with the above eg laplink although no additional software is necessary.

you could also remove the old hard drive and install it as slave in the new PC so that you can transfer the files.

[email protected]

jimv7 10:02 16 Aug 04

Disconnect hard drive from old computer, reconnect it in place of cdrom/dvd drives on the secondary channel and start computer.

You can then access the old drive direct and copy any files you wish.

jimv7 10:02 16 Aug 04

Disconnect hard drive from old computer, reconnect it in place of cdrom/dvd drives on the secondary channel and start computer.

You can then access the old drive direct and copy any files you wish.

jimv7 10:06 16 Aug 04

Sorry about the double posting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…