Copying files to a NTFS partition

Terrylr 20:33 17 Feb 05

Hi,

I wonder if someone would be kind enough to help me...

I have had problems with my boot drive C:(which contained DOS) and my Windows 2K partition is on D: - this was dual boot.

My C Drive has failed, which contained the boot files and i've formated this to NTFS.

I now am unable to boot the PC. I had the idea to copy over the boot.ini, NTDTECT and NTLDR to the D: drive and hopefully the machine would boot straight into W2K.

Because the drives are NTFS I am unable to access them with a standard DOS boot disk.

I have tried some NTFS Utility called 'ReadNTFS' but this only allows me to copy from an NTFS disk to a FAT disk and NOT from a floppy to a disk!

Does anyone have any ideas?! or is there a better way to get this booting again?!

Many Thanks!!!

mattyc_92 21:31 17 Feb 05

Try using partition magic to "resize" your drive back into on big drive....

This gets rid of the NTLDR nonsense for me... Then just start again and install your other OS after creating another partition for it....

Hope it all works out for you...lol

mgmcc 22:30 17 Feb 05

You may be able to boot using a floppy if you copy the NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM and a correctly configured Boot.ini file (pointing to the partition with Win2k on it) to it. Once Windows is running, you can put these files back into their correct location, which will probably be the root of "C" drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…