copying files etc from one SATA HDD to another

rob162 20:03 25 Oct 09

Im looking to upgrade my laptop HDD to a bigger one and im just wondering how do i go about copying all my files from the old HDD to the new HDD?
Can i just copy and paste the programs and media?
I have ordered an external 2.5" SATA HDD enclosure ready for when i buy the new drive, i just need some help on how i get my new hard drive to work just how the current one does with all my files on etc

johnnyrocker 20:15 25 Oct 09

i reckon transfer of progs will be difficult as they will be installed all over the disk, the rest of it would involve setting up file transfer wizard.

johnny

rob162 20:16 25 Oct 09

so do u think just installing vista again on the new drive and reinstalling all my programs again would be a better idea?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:39 25 Oct 09

Get your self a copy of Acronis and clone the old drive to the new one you can then just fit the new one in the laptop and it will work exactly as before.

After that extend the unallocated space on the new drive when everything is working ok you can format the old drive in the enclosure and use it for backups or extra space.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…