Copying files to another hard disk

jz 22:34 05 Apr 04

A few weeks ago, I put a hard disk with NTFS format from a W2000 PC (ie the hard disk had W2000 installed on it) into a computer with WXP as a slave, and copied data files and folders onto it.

When I put the hard disk back into the W2000 PC, the new files and folders weren't listed in Explorer. It was only when I did a scandisk that the PC found the lost files and folders and restored them (although it got some of the folder names wrong). After a few minutes, I sorted it out, so there's no problem.

I'm curious, why did this happen?

woodchip 22:42 05 Apr 04

I would say it was a MBR problem as scandisk found the files, as it reads the MBR on the drive to check that files are where they should be. A bit like a Index in a book

jz 22:47 05 Apr 04

Thanks Woodchip.

Is it normally a bad idea to do what I did?

I thought it was a quick and easy way to copy several Gbytes of data (photos, documents, etc) over, since the PCs aren't networked, and copying to CD would require many CDs.

woodchip 22:54 05 Apr 04

No I think the problem was two different OS's. After all you made it work

woodchip 22:56 05 Apr 04

PS I use a USB to USB bridging cable to copy files from one comp to the other very cheap from a comp Fair

jz 23:04 05 Apr 04

Thanks again. I assumed that NTFS was not operating system dependent (at least not for W2000 and WXP) so thought there wouldn't be a problem. But you're right, it worked in the end, although for a while I wondered if something might have been lost, and it would have taken a long time to check that all the files and folders were present. I haven't found anything files or folders missing yet...

What software do you use with your bridging cable, or does Windows support the copying over USB?

woodchip 23:13 05 Apr 04

You get a Software CD and load it to both computers it put a icon on the desktop. Make sure it supports your OS's you can check the Manufacturers site if it's a well known make for extra drivers. This is the kind of thing you are looking for check google for USB1 or 2 Bridge Controller click here

jz 21:58 06 Apr 04

Thanks for your help woodchip

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…