Copying Files from 98 to XP

nigelkili 12:26 12 Nov 07

Ive got a very old Compaq Presario 2282 which has pictures on it which I would like to copy.

The A drive 3.5 inch is broken or wont read any disks. The CD drive is Read Only.

What options have I got to copy the files from the old pc ?

Karakorum 12:29 12 Nov 07

On a USB stick? (If it has USB) or maybe email them to yourself as attachments?

nigelkili 12:31 12 Nov 07

It runs First Edition of 98 - Ive not found a USB stick yet that has drivers for this edition. Any thoughts ?

Karakorum 12:36 12 Nov 07

How about making a LAN?

HondaMan 12:41 12 Nov 07

Are you copying for storage or to another PC? Probably the simplest if copying to another PC is remove the HDD and hook it up as a slave to the new one. If for storage, buy a CD/DVD writer and fit that. You can buy from click here

nigelkili 12:43 12 Nov 07

All I want to do is copy the pictures from this pc - then it can be condemmed as its so slow and old. How easy is it to remove a HDD ?

Karakorum 13:01 12 Nov 07

You could maybe put your old HDD into a 3.5" enclosure which would have USB connections and use it that way as an external drive. That might be the easiest route. The caddy/enclosures and cables are pretty cheap I think. Getting your old HDD out should be just a few screws and unplugging a cable as far as I remember.

Confab 13:06 12 Nov 07

How big are the files you want to copy?

RWest 13:18 12 Nov 07

I have a Gateway Win 98 machine & use an external hard disk plugged into USB port. The disk comes with an installation CD and I *think* doesn't need special win98 drivers - i think i just skipped the bit when nit asked for win98 disks to be inserted. Anyway, it works fine.

ambra4 14:12 12 Nov 07

Nigelkili

Remove hard drive from the Compaq computer set the jumper on hard drive to slave

Open the case on your present computer and find a power connector from the power supply and the cable from the hard drive

On the hard drive cable there is a second connector (Main hd on the first connector on cable) connect the old hard drive to the second connect and connect the power supply cable to the hd

Boot up PC and check that the drive is showing in My Computer and see if it is listed as ā€œEā€

If listed Double click on drive find pictures and cut and paste to a folder on your desktop

You could also save any other files using the same method, once you have save all the information power down and remove old drive

nigelkili 14:20 12 Nov 07

Hi ambra4

This looks like the best assured option. You make it sound so easy though to remove a hard drive - never having done one or even seen one before I am somewhat nervous about that approach....Any suggestions on easiest way ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…