Copying from external drive to PC optical drive

geedad 14:11 08 Nov 10

I am trying to copy from an external drive to PC optical drive to save my video and doc files etc.
However, I have only an out-dated app. called Drag'n'Drop, which I don't like much.
Is there a reliable freebie that would do the trick.
The copying will be to DVD-R discs.
I am using Windows XP Sp2.
Thanks to members
geedad

Terry Brown 15:05 08 Nov 10

Please find a selection of programs that will burn data from a harddrive to a DVD drive.

None have been tested by me, so I do not know if they are any good.

click here

Terry

Woolwell 15:40 08 Nov 10

Your could try Ashampoo Burning Studio click here

hastelloy 19:37 08 Nov 10

I use ImgBurn click here. I've always found it very easy to use and very reliable.

geedad 23:11 08 Nov 10

Terry Brown:
Thanks for your input. I actually want to copy from an EXTERNAL Drive (Western Digital) to the Optical drive on my PC, and not from my HDD.
Woolwell:
Thank you for your input. Will ABS copy my files from external drive to optical drive on PC?
{ I am NOT looking for Authoring software).
Marvin42:
Thank you for your input:
See my replies to Terry Brown and Woolwell. Will your suggested software copy OK?
geedad

geedad 23:17 08 Nov 10

Members who have replied to this post.
I want to be able to SELECT and copy areas of my external drive, and NOT copy the whole DVD. I hope this could help you all to decide the best copy application that fulfills my needs.
Thanks all , again!
geedad

Woolwell 23:34 08 Nov 10

It is some time since I used Ashampoo's product. Burning to a DVD from an external hard drive should not be any more difficult than burning from an internal drive unless the transfer rate is poor. It is a hard drive after all.
Download one of these free products and have a play. You can always uninstall it if you don't like it. However is this data on the external drive the only copy of your data that exists? If so you need to be careful that you don't wipe it by moving instead of copy for example.

geedad 23:50 08 Nov 10

Woolwell:
OK, I could try that, and thank you for the timely reminder about copy as opposed to move - I HAVE been caught out on that a long time ago!
geedad

lotvic 00:02 09 Nov 10

All you do in the burning program is select Burn Data DVD and then browse to the files you want on the DVD, select them and drag down to the bottom window / or select them and click on Add, and then select Burn.

I sometimes use the excellent free XP CDburner (that despite it's name also burns to DVD) click here
How to burn a data DVD click here

Sapins 09:42 09 Nov 10

Use the "send to " option click here

You can then send any file, folder, to any destination you have added to the send to menu.

Sapins 09:53 09 Nov 10

A couple of points, when you "send" a file/folder it only copies it, it does not delete it and you can use this method to back up one network computer to another one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy Book review: Hands-on with Samsung’s high-end hybrid

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is probably one of the best bank ads we’ve seen

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple