Copying on DVDs

Phoenix40 13:18 17 Mar 08

Hello i wonder if someone can help me with a problem copying on DVDs. I bought a new computer with a DVD RW, which has Vistas windows.I have no trouble copying onto the DVD. But when i transfer the disk into my old computer which uses Wins 98SE and is not a DVD RW drive. I am unable to see the files ive burned on the disk. I have been able in the past to see information other people have sent me on copied disks. But i cant see my own information. I admit this is the first time ive had a DVD RW drive computer and it is rather new to me. It seems what i have done is alright but just cant see the information in the drive on my wins explorer in my old computer. I would appreciate it if anyone can help thank you.

David4637 13:25 17 Mar 08

You can't put a DVD into a CD drive on your W98SE PC and see the files on it, it has to be a DVD drive to read it. I assume your W98SE has NOT got a DVD drive. It probably would not work anyway. David

Phoenix40 13:31 17 Mar 08

Hello thank you for your reply. Sorry if i wasnt clear in my information. The DVD drive on my old computer is a DVD Rom drive. But its not a DVD RW drive. It can run DVDs but not copy them. So in the past i was able to read other peoples copied DVDs. I just wonder is it because the windows are so different? I hope to hear anymore ideas thank you.

lofty29 13:50 17 Mar 08

I do not have vista, but have heard that the files are not backwards compatible to 98

Phoenix40 17:01 17 Mar 08

Hello thank you for your replies. One other thing to do with transfering files from one computer to another. I saw advertised in a leaflet, something called Memory Sticks where they have a USB connection with about 2 Gigbyte memory where you can d/load information onto for another computer. Would they be any good from a Vistas window computer to a old Wins 98SE system? If anyone knows much about these accessories let me know if you can use them on any computer thank you.

Demora 17:22 17 Mar 08

You probably need a 3rd party Burning software programme like Nero 7 on the vista pc. Then burn the files to a dvd-R Using 'Burn at once' I had a dvd rom drive on my old '98'pc also installed a dvd re-writer worked fine. DVD re-writers are cheap enough these days.

D

Demora 17:24 17 Mar 08

Yes you can use usb memory sticks or key drives etc on any PC providing the 98 pcs' have usb installed.

Phoenix40 17:36 17 Mar 08

Hello thank you for your replies. Just two things i want to mention. Concerning the DVD RW drives are they the ones where you can connect them externally? Do they have a USB connector? Also the memory sticks. I have seen some on the Amazon site, as an example. They mention different windows they can be used on, but not wins 98SE so far. Does that mean i cant use them on that system? Yes i do have a couple of USB ports on my old computer. Hope to hear from someone soon thanks.

brundle 17:41 17 Mar 08

Depending on the age of the DVDROM drive it may not support some disc types. See what it can read using Nero Infotool; click here

Phoenix40 17:57 17 Mar 08

Thank you for that. Sorry if i need you to clarify this software called Nero tool again. Do i install this on my old wins 98SE to read information from DVD disks from other windows? Please let me know when you can thanks.

brundle 18:27 17 Mar 08

Yes, run it on the '98 machine. It won't read the information from the discs, it will tell you what discs the drive is able to read from.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple