Copying from drive A to drive B

alltime 23:52 07 Aug 10

Hi, Im upgrading my laptop drive from 60gb to 160gb. How do i copy everything from my old drive to the new one. I suppose i have to format the new drive and put windows xp back on but i need all the programs, photos, emails etc. your help would be much appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 00:24 08 Aug 10

Easiest way is to use cloning software such as Acronis to copy the old drive to the new (but you need an external caddy to connect the new drive to do the copying.

Other wise it load every thing from scratch if you have all the install disks

alltime 01:21 08 Aug 10

Am i reading you right. So i load the Acronis programme onto the old hard drive, format the new hard drive in the caddy and then copy everything onto the new drive. Ok so when i put the new hard drive in the laptop will it boot up as normal? with everything copied to it?
Is this right Fruit Bat/\0/\

AlanHo 05:19 08 Aug 10

You need to set Aronis to take a full system image and then restore this image to your new hard drive in the caddy.

I would recommend that you first back up all your data onto an external hard drive or other media - just in case things go pear shaped.

I would also recommend that you implement a proper back-up procedure for all your settings and data after you get your new hard drive working. Acronis will do nicely.

Graham. 09:21 08 Aug 10

You could use this click here

alltime 10:29 08 Aug 10

I did a dummy run last nite using the acronis system free trial on my main pc to dvd-rw discs (5 discs) the problem i encountered is that i cant read the tib file, how do i get round this.

Graham. 15:22 08 Aug 10

Acronis reads it. I don't know how the trial version works, normally to restore to the saved back-up you would boot with the bootable CD supplied by Acronis.

Do you get the option to create a bootable disc?

Batch 18:22 08 Aug 10

Assuming you have a CD/DVD drive, using Acronis, create an Acronis boot CD.

Plug the new drive in as an external drive (i.e. in a caddy).

Boot from the Acronis boot CD

Clone the old drive to the new drive.

Take out the old drive and insert the new.

Boot-up

Job done.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now