copying data from laptop to desktop querie

wednesday 13 15:19 18 Feb 12

Hi, I have purchased a new motherboard and processor for my desktop pc, and was hoping to be able to copy everything from my laptop, including operating system to my desktop.

The plan was to install XP so I can copy everything from my laptop hard drive to my desktop, and then hopefully get the computer to boot from there. However, im not entirely sure how to do this or even if it was possible.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, Jake

onthelimit1 15:30 18 Feb 12

You can't transfer the operating system. If you want to install XP on the desktop, you'll need an installation disk and a COA number (does the desktop have a sticker with this info?). Installation is straightforward, but you may need to phone MS to activate the installation as the mobo has been changed. Transferring data is simple with an external hard drive to copy from the lappy, then transfer to the desktop. Be prepared to spend some time finding drivers for the hardware on the PC.

wednesday 13 14:03 19 Feb 12

Okay, thank you. I still have my driver and os discs, so that won't be too much of a problem, I was just hoping that there would have been a quicker way of doing it, and would have liked to have kept everything the way it is on my laptop on the new system.

Thanks again

onthelimit1 19:22 20 Feb 12

You can transfer the documents and settings using Windows Easy Transfer - that does save some time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…