Copying data to DVD drive

Hamish I 18:43 11 Jan 06

I have tried copying documents and Quicken data both to a DVD+R disk and a CD-RW disk, but get the message; "unable to access the disk in drive D. Please make sure thedrive is ready and the disk is not write-protected". What am I doing wrong? I'm using HP Home, and had thought I could use these disks where on my old computer I used floppies. It's obviously not as simple as that or as I had imagined!

Totally-braindead 18:46 11 Jan 06

This might be a silly question but I presume you do have a CD writer or DVD writer on your computer and not a CD ROM or DVD ROM.

Smiler 18:50 11 Jan 06

How are you copying these files.
What is HP home??

Smiler 18:53 11 Jan 06

If your using windows XP drag and drop will not work with DVD's.
You need to use something like INCD from Nero to use a RW DVD or CD like a floppy

Hamish I 19:02 11 Jan 06

Totally-braindead's pseudonym would be more appropriate for me. In reply to his/her question, which isn't at all silly, the answer is, I don't know. In answer to Smiler, HP was a slip of the pen, so to speak. I meant XP. I will try the Nero idea. Thank you to both.

Hamish I 23:08 11 Jan 06

I've investigated Nero, and wonder if anyone knows of any freeware which would do the job.

Pamy 23:22 11 Jan 06

Hamish I, there is no point in looking at Nero or any other sofware burning program if you do not have a DVD or CD burner. They usually tell you on the burner just above where the disk tray is. Come back with this answer.

Pamy

Biotech 23:39 11 Jan 06

Is the autorun for the drives enabled.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5