Copying/ cloning new HDD.

ribo 14:22 10 Jan 07

I am trying to copy or clone my new hard drive (160GB from my existing HDD (40). I have used Acronis, but without sucess. (I do not know what went wrong there) So I have copied with Drive Image. All seems well and I got the message that it had been copied successfully. When I changed over the master and slave cales. ( I also made the neew one the master although I ususally use Cable select with no problems. Howver when I booted up the caomputer I got as far as the light blue screen showing "Windows XP" and there it froze. I am reformatting it at the moments. I have been at it all day! Hope somewone can help Thanks. j

terryf 14:25 10 Jan 07

What did you do with Acronis, where did you clone to?

ribo 14:33 10 Jan 07

I do not know wht went wrong. I have done it once before ok. I got as far as the screen that asks you to "delete partitions on the destination drive" I said yes, because it was the only choiceIt thn went to a screen asking for a reboot.It did not go to the "Old Hard Drive Usage" as I expected.I got some blue screns (acronis screens) and then I felt as though I did not know what I was doing, so came out. Sorry I cannot be more specific. J

Pamy 14:46 10 Jan 07

In drive image did you copy over your old disk onto your new one or did you do an image of it? If an image then that is for putting it back onto another drive, I do not think you can use the image as a new operating system

ribo 14:53 10 Jan 07

I copied the old drive onto the new one. Using Drive Image "Copy one drive to another". It says it had done it sussessfully but on booting I get stuck on the blue windows XP screen. I think after the format is complte I shall have another go with Acronis. Thanks. J

Pamy 14:56 10 Jan 07

ribo, OK was just checking what you had done, cannot help any more, Good Luck, would be interested how you get on.

citadel 15:02 10 Jan 07

I just used the software that came with the new drive, it asked if I wanted to make the new drive the main drive then copied all over from the old.

ribo 15:04 10 Jan 07

I did not get any software with new drive. I may have a look at thier web site. Thanks.

Pamy 15:30 10 Jan 07

If you have XP its wizard will do it for you

Pamy 15:33 10 Jan 07

Haa, it does files and settings, not sure about whole drive

ribo 18:26 10 Jan 07

Thank you everyone for your offers of help.
I now worked around the situation,by creating an image in Acronis and then doing a restore to my new drive. It worked and all is well.I am npow using my new 160Gb HDD.
Why I could not clone my HDD in Acronis,I do not know. J

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac