Copying CDs

LeedsLass 11:41 08 Apr 06

I just got a new CD and wanted to copy it so I have a copy for the car and a copy for in the house. However, when I came to copy it Nero says that it can't (pressumably there is some sort of restriction on it so it can't be copied illegally - but I just want a copy for my car!!).

Is there any software program (pref free) that will allow me to copy it?

SANTOS7 11:47 08 Apr 06

"so it can't be copied illegally"
you have answered your own question really, i can understand your frustration but if you did make a copy you will be in breech of copyrite...

Hertz Van Rentyl 11:58 08 Apr 06

I thought a backup copy for your own use was allowed and did not breach the copyright. Anyway if the tracks can be downloaded to your HDD, then it may be possible to add them in the "Make audio CD" function of Nero Express.

SANTOS7 12:13 08 Apr 06

Copyright and the Internet

Under UK law (the position in other countries may differ) copyright material sent over the Internet or stored on web servers will generally be protected in the same way as material in other media. So anyone wishing to put copyright material on the Internet, or further distribute or download such material that others have placed on the Internet, should ensure that they have the permission of the owners of rights in the material.

Generally, when you put your work on a web site, it is probably a good idea to mark each page of the web site with the international © mark followed by the name of the copyright owner and year of publication. In addition, you could include information on your web site about the extent to which you are content for others to use your copyright material without permission. Although material on a web site is protected by copyright in the same way as material in other media, you should bear in mind that web sites are accessible from all over the world and, if material on your web site is used without your permission, you would generally need to take action for copyright infringement where this use occurs.

SANTOS7 12:15 08 Apr 06

click here
text taken from link.
i have to say that i have heard of disc's that allow a backup to be made but how what and where i am not sure........

LeedsLass 14:43 08 Apr 06

It's ok I've managed it on my own

SANTOS7 14:47 08 Apr 06

confessing to, manageing to, copy a copyrighted disc is rather dull on a forum that in no way condones these actions...

terryf 14:58 08 Apr 06

LeedsLass, please let us all know how you 'dunnit' :-)

Diemmess 18:18 08 Apr 06

I'm fairly sure that back in the days when floppies, (lots of them) were needed to install a program, some makers, not Microsoft, encouraged making copies "for safety" by the licenced owner.

Microsoft to give them the credit, would post replacement floppys provided you could picture scan the original disk or quote various serial numbers on the original floppy.
In fact I was sent the full version of Word 6 because I had a failed disk and Microsoft had no more "upgrade" disks in stock.

CDs (when factory made) are very durable and the need for that sort of friendliness has now disappeared.

The Spires 19:35 08 Apr 06

I really don't think anyone would have a problem to copy a cd to use in the car if you own it, or to make compilations of music you have bought.

SANTOS7 19:50 08 Apr 06

The copy-protected CDs limit users options--preventing them from making a copy of the CD to play in their car, for example, as one could with a cassette tape. But they also limit their mobility. In some cases, the protected CDs cannot even be played in more than one of the consumer's CD players.
click here
more info in the link.
I am as frustrated as the next person regarding these issues i know it would be nice to buy a new CD
make a copy and play that while keeping the original
as good as new, but these disc's are not exactly made to wear out under normal use they are going to last for years if looked after properly...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac