Copying CD's

Gem 10:29 03 Jan 05

Silly question no doubt- I tried to copy a CD for the first time ever today. The CD-R I'm using is supposed to take 700MB/80mins, yet when I record it will only take 5 or 6 songs (about 25mins). Anybody know why this is happening?
Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:32 03 Jan 05

What burning software are you using Nero?

ACOLYTE 10:33 03 Jan 05

Are you copying MP3?,and are you making a Audio cd or Data cd,Data cd with MP3 wont take as many tracks cos the files are bigger,do a Audio cd and the software should change the Mp3 to .cda and you get more tracks on the cd.Either that or make the Mp3's smaller.

Gem 10:36 03 Jan 05

Okay, thanks for answering so quickly, but I must admit that I have no idea what you are talking about. I am a total beginner at this. I just inserted a music CD into my laptop, copied the songs (Media Player), then tried to copy the songs onto a blank CR-R in the drive. Sorry for sounding so dumb.

ACOLYTE 10:43 03 Jan 05

They must be very big files what you are copying back if you only get 5-6 per cd,i think the problem is you files are to big and need to be made smaller.

Gem 10:47 03 Jan 05

All I can tell you is what I read on the Media Player. In minutes the music is about 44 mins, and the CD-R should take 80. In MB the CD-R should take 700, and the songs are under 2MB each (apart from 1). I realise I am sounding very dumb here, but I hope you stay with me. :o)

ACOLYTE 10:50 03 Jan 05

Well at 2 mb each you should get quite a few on the cd ,how many tracks are there?

billyliv 10:51 03 Jan 05

Hi, If you have Win XP on your laptop try the windows burning program. Cheers, Bill

Gem 10:55 03 Jan 05

To Acolyte - there are 20 tracks on 1 of the CD's and 14 on the other - so I guess I should be able to copy all of them no problem. When you say 'make the files smaller', how do i do this?

T Bill - yes we do have Win XP on the laptop. How do I access the windows burning programm?

Taff36 10:57 03 Jan 05

I assume this is Media Player 10 but the same is true of media player 9. Go to Tools>Options and choose the "Rip" tab. There is a help link on this tab called " Learn more about MP3 formats" under "Rip Settings" This will help you understand the different types of files everyone`s talking about.

ACOLYTE 11:04 03 Jan 05

On the same note,under rip settings see if you can change the file type to Mp3 from the drop down list,then pull the slider down to small size
128Kbs is about the normal,but you can go smaller.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…