Copying CDs

Southernboy 22:45 13 Dec 03

Can you do this with a combination CD/DVD drive or must you have separate drives?

plsndrs3 22:48 13 Dec 03

If the combo drive is also a burner then, yes. If it is just a CDR/DVD drive then you will need a CDRW for audio/data & a DVD [various formats] for DVD/data

Paul

woodchip 22:48 13 Dec 03

just put a disc in that you want to copy choose copy it will copy to hard drive then it will tell you to put a blank cd in

LastChip 22:50 13 Dec 03

You can do it with a single drive. Just use the copy program on your DVD/CD software.

It will ask you for the source CD first, copy the contents to a temporary file and then burn the new disc.

However, if the CD you want to copy is protected, the program may refuse to copy the disc.

Southernboy 23:53 13 Dec 03

It is just that I am currently looking at new PCs for my Dad and the one he fancies has a combination CD/DVD drive. Being new, I assume the CD element will be a burner. This way, he can get a smaller tower.

LastChip 00:05 14 Dec 03

There are DVD PLAYERS on the market, and if this PC is being promoted at a "price" it could be just that in order to save cost.

Jester2K II 11:54 14 Dec 03

What is it they say about assumption being the mother of all (mistakes)??

Check first!

Also Combo drives seem to be less reliable in the long run...

Southernboy 13:15 15 Dec 03

All PCs by the major makers have CD burners. This one is by Evesham, priced at £1299.00, so I would imagine it is pretty much "cutting-edge"?

nick_j007 13:28 15 Dec 03

A fair assumption, but check to be sure.

Stuartli 14:40 15 Dec 03

If it's just able to play CDs or DVDs then it will be listed as a DVD-ROM drive - if you see CD/DVD/CD-RW drive then it will be a combo.

Better to have a DVD-ROM drive for playing audio CDs, DVDs and installing software and a standalone CD-RW (or DVD-RW) rewriter; rewriters are not especially robust in terms of life span, so should only be used for their main purpose i.e. burning.

If you use Nero, it will control the operation of both drives, which will become apparent if you use the HDD image method of copying.

Southernboy 22:13 15 Dec 03

can a DVD-ROM install software? I thought it was only for playing DVDs?

According to PCA, we should now be looking for a DVD writer as, apparently, these are replacing CD-RW for backing up files, having a much greater capacity. As I still use Zip drives, I know nothing about burning CDs. To be honest, I was put off by a reponse in HELPLINE in PCA which said CD-R could not be used for reinstalling files. If this is so, what is the point of them?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…