Copying to CD in Windows XP

ronecc 22:42 14 Jun 04

I cannot transfer files to my CD/ DVD drive using XP, it says 'No disc inserted, please insert empty disc' each time I try. It does not matter what make or type of disk.
I can copy using 'Nero', but sometimes it is easier just to use XP supplied, or it would if I could use it . Any ideas what is wrong?

elizajayne 23:43 14 Jun 04

I had same problem with high speed disks, seems although cdrw will write to high speed disks, software not yet caught up, and causing problems. I switched to lower speed disks and all is fine. mind up my disk drive should cut to high speed dicks, so it's not all hunky dorry.

hugh-265156 23:53 14 Jun 04

try uninstalling your cd drive via device manager(right click it here and choose uninstall) and restart your computer.

windows will re install the drive again at start up.sometimes this helps if for some reason windows has a problem with the built in drivers for it. worth a try anyway.

ps.i would just stick to nero.xp`s burning software always closes the disc even if you only copy a small file.such a waste.

woodchip 00:01 15 Jun 04

It must be turned of in Services. You cannot use NERO and XP burner at the same time it's one or the other. If you enable it in Services then NERO will not work, or it may be problematic

woodchip 00:05 15 Jun 04

If you just like being able to drag files onto the CD in Explorer, then use InCD it should be on your NERO disc but it is a different program. You have to Format a CD with InCD to be able to do the above

hugh-265156 00:07 15 Jun 04

i have imapi cd burning enabled in services woodchip and can use both if i wish.no problems at all.

obviously not both at the same time but i can exit nero and burn straight away with xp or vice versa.

woodchip 00:22 15 Jun 04

I posted the above as I know some have had problems. I don't miss XP as I have got used to NERO

hugh-265156 00:53 15 Jun 04

agree with you totally sir.

nero is so much better i never bother using xp but as above neither nero or xp has never gave me any problems/conflicts if i leave the imapi service to manual. both work.

before i used nero and pre service pk.1 i only used xp and this was a different story though lol.

ronecc how old is your copy of xp and are you all up to date? click here

Djohn 01:03 15 Jun 04

Both work in mine. I just select the one I want to use. Maybe ronecc has INCD installed as well and this has been known to cause a conflict with XP's own copy application.

GroupFC 09:32 15 Jun 04

I am watching this with interest. I have an OEM version of Nero on my Multivision machine at home (which has XP & SP1)which was pre-installed and I don't have a disc and it doesn't have InCD installed!

I have never been able to get the XP one to work! (in truth I haven't tried to hard!). I did post a query here sometime ago, but was never able to fix the problem.

Whilst I don't mind using Nero, I agree with ronecc that it would sometimes be easier and quicker using the packet-writing of XP if I could get the damn thing to work!

christmascracker 10:35 15 Jun 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…