Copying to another site or pendrive

Housten 13:01 26 Jan 15

Good Afternoon, Gentlemen

I realise I am being a bit boring, but does anyone know of a - preferably free - programme that can copy a number of programmes to another device. I do regular backups but I would like to be able to pre-programme some files that have our bank and share details to a safe place whenever I want to do so. I know that 'Copy' does that, but each file has to be copied individually. I would like one click and they are all copied!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:35 26 Jan 15

write a batch file in notepad -

copy (sourcepath\file name) (destination)

for each file

eg

copy c:\users\fred\documents\bank statment.jpg e:\backup\bank

write a line in your batch file foe each file to be copied (paste each line and just change the file name.

save the file as backup.exe and the use windows scheduler to run th file at set times or just click the file to run it when you want.

Housten 15:45 26 Jan 15

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Many thanks. When I followed your instructions there was one slight problem. The computer came up with the fact that I should check whether or not Notepad was for 32Bit or 64Bit. This slightly confused me in that I have Windows 7 64Bit Home Premium and so - being stupid I suppose - I assumed that all the Windows files were suitable for 64Bit. However....

ßeta

When I changed the file to 'Backup.Bat' it ran straight away - in DOS actually, which surprised me but shouldn't have. All I am left with now is to write exactly what I wish to be copied.

Many, many thanks to both of you very kind gents for taking the time and trouble to help a stupid old pensioner.

Housten 16:36 27 Jan 15

Gentlemen, Fruit Bat /\0/\ and ßeta,

For reasons I do not understand I have made a horrendous boo-boo somehow!! What happened is that I wrote a single line file and tested it, it worked and so I made my last post. But now something I am doing is creating this problem.

This morning I changed the file, saved it ( it went into c:\users\ron\ ) as a '.txt' file. I copied it to c:\, edited the file name to '.bat' and all that happens now is that I either 'OPEN' the file ( that is I see the contents of it ) or I can see the contents of the file. I have a Marble mouse trackball which has left and right large buttons and inset small ones which I have set as 'double click'. If I single click on the left button nothing happens, double clicking means I can see the contents. Whatever I do on the right side I see the contents of the file!!

Can you, please, tell where I am going wrong or what I am doing wrong. I will be most grateful for any information as to what is causing this. Even if you think I am a stupid old pensioner, I will be grateful for any, and all, advice you can give me.

Many, many thanks in advance.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:33 27 Jan 15

not sure what you mean by edited the file to .bat

you should save as .bat

Housten 15:12 28 Jan 15

Fruit Bat /\0/\,

Good Afternoon.

Apologies for the delay but I had an email - of some urgency to write - and I have just - OK, a few minutes ago - got round to your post.

What I had done when I had written the instructions in Notepad, was to save it ( which it did in c:\users\ron as .txt ). I wanted to use it in c:\ so I copied it to c:\ and then changed the name from *.txt to *.bat. Reading your post I realised that I may have been doing something wrong, so I re-wrote a one line programme, saved it as *.bat. I also tried '*.' so that all the files in a particular sub-folder would be copied. That didn't work. So I altered it to a single file. This proved quite an adventure, as I couldn't get the file saved. So I re-wrote it and gave it a single file to copy and that hasn't worked.

I am beginning to think that I have a jinx on this and that I should just surrender, politely, now. I would rather not, but I do not see that this is going to work for me.

Many, many thanks for all the time and trouble you have taken.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:45 28 Jan 15

Use xcopy to copy all files in a folder

@echo off xcopy c:\users\ron\folder1 c:\users\ron\folder2 /m /e /y

[email protected] off' line means display nothing onscreen when it runs this batch file.

The second line uses the xcopy command to copy all contents of the folder1 to folder2 the first time the batch file is run.

the \m \e \y tells xcopy to only copy new files and files which have changed since it was last run.

It will not copy unchanged files which it previously copied, even if you delete the copies it made from the c:\testbackup' directory.

Save your batch file as 'test.bat' on your desktop and double click it to run.

check the files have saved in folder2

add a file or change a file in folder1 and rerun the batch file check folder2 to see if the changes have saved.

Housten 15:25 03 Feb 15

Good Afternoon Fruit Bat /\0/\ and ßeta,

I apologise for not replying sooner, but I have been having some ( non computer fortunately )problems and I have been desperately trying to get rid of them. They will take a few days but I will be trying again next week. Many thanks to both of you for the time and trouble you have taken for me.

Housten 15:36 03 Feb 15

Good Afternoon Fruit Bat /\0/\ and ßeta,

I apologise for not replying sooner, but I have been having some ( non computer fortunately )problems and I have been desperately trying to get rid of them. They will take a few days but I will be trying again next week. Many thanks to both of you for the time and trouble you have taken for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…