Copying ALicia Keyes

herc182 09:11 10 Mar 04

I am trying to copy this CD onto my HDD (it is my CD!). I put it into the CD player, and attempt to copy it using windows media player.
It starts recording (all the tracks appear) and 12% into the first song it crashes and i cant record.
anyone know what it could be?
I think the CD is copy protected.

Jester2K 09:21 10 Mar 04

It might be your Cd but its still not legal to copy to your HDD.

If you want a way round any copy protection try another forum. Its part of the T&C of this site that you don't discuss "cracks" and circumventing copy protection.

temp003 09:38 10 Mar 04

If it's a copy protect, it usually says on the CD cover or somewhere. Does it actually say that?

anon1 10:02 10 Mar 04

Copyright protects the cd anyway and if you read the small print it will say about "unauthorised copying "etc. There is of course always a way round it but that I am not going to discuss here.

leo49 10:14 10 Mar 04

Let's stick to the point. As temp003 points out,if it's protected it will say so on the sleeve.If it doesn't then it's rippable.Try another program like DBpower or Nero to rip to HDD.

Kate B 10:24 10 Mar 04

I use Soundstream to rip copy-protected CDs ... no problemo.

herc182 13:31 10 Mar 04

It does say its copy protected. I am not a thieving gypsy who is trying to "Illegally copy" my own CD onto my HDD to put onto my MP3 player. I understand that this forum does not promote the use of cracks, but i just want to copy my damn CD onto my HDD.

It is frustrating to have a CD and not be able to put it onto my mp3 player.

Thank you for your help anyway. I think i will just memorise the CD and negating the need to copy it onto my MP3 player. No copyright laws infringed upon (or is there?!)

rickf 13:42 10 Mar 04

There is a way but you have to take the initiative.

Forum Editor 17:50 10 Mar 04

in the same way we don't condone breaking the speed limit. Both are good laws, and both are broken thousands of times a day.

We're here to help with problems, but I'm quite sure anyone with a grain of understanding will appreciate why I can't (and won't) subscribe to any form of illegal copying of a protected CD. There are ways of doing it, of course there are, but we're not going to discuss them here.

Nobody from the music publisher would dream of prosecuting you for copying a CD to your hard drive for your own entertainment herc182, but you'll understand how difficult it is to distinguish between doing it with that purpose in mind and doing it with the intention of distributing the music via a P2P file sharing network. We have to make an assumption, and unfortunately that assumption has to be that you're planning some dastardly crime against the music publisher. I know you're not, but you see what I mean don't you?

anniel 18:18 10 Mar 04

go to newgroup and you will find advice. If you aren't into newsgroups on your mail server, just "google" it and you will find the group.

herc182 11:54 11 Mar 04

i understand your stance and agree with it. just very annoying to be in the situation!

thanks for your help people

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…