Copy XP Home

donmar 15:15 19 Aug 03

I have a new machine with an OEM version of XP Home and I read in the current PCA that I am allowed to copy it to CD from the hard drive to put it on a new drive in the same machine.
Since I was not supplied with any CDs by the manufacturer,I want to take a copy.

Can anyone please tell me how to do this so that even a computer idiot like me can understand? Don.

alcudia 15:47 19 Aug 03

I assume that as you do not seem to have any sort of recovery disc (not a good Idea) your XP files are located on a hidden partition of your drive. see click here for more information. If I were you I would go back to your OEM and demand a recovery disc. If your hard drive ever goes down you will be in trouble.

donmar 16:09 19 Aug 03

Hi Alcudia
Thanks. Have tried the manufacturers. They referred me to the re sellers who referred me to the Manufacturers!
It was just the article with questions answered by microsoft in the current PCA which states that I can copy the OS to a CD.
I just dont know how to do it.Don

alcudia 16:38 19 Aug 03

What make is your PC. It is totally unreasonable, and may be illegal to supply a computer without back up discs of the installed software (including Windows). The disc should be supplied by the manufacturers. Don't take no for an answer. Without the disc you have nothing to copy. You also need to make sure that you do have a hidden partition on your system containing the XP install files.

donmar 18:38 19 Aug 03

The manufacturer guaranties to restore everything for 3 years. All part of the deal I missed in the small print. My problem is that the restore is back to base,at their expense, but I don't want the computer away for the three weeks they reckon to need it for.Don

AndySD 18:51 19 Aug 03

Your best bet then is to make you own recovery disks....you will need to buy software to copy the whole drive to cd.

Kitz E Kat 20:56 19 Aug 03

You could try Norton Ghost, this will make a complete "image" of your DH contents, including ,well everything..

You can use this to act as a recovery disk, by reinstalling the image you made...

It aint that expensive and is a nice backup utility, not that hard to use.....

Good luck

Kitz E Kat

carlos 21:06 19 Aug 03

I have just checked my own primary HD. It's a 20Gb but Rclicking on C tells me it's 16Gb. Be very grateful for any explanations.Is the remainder taken by XP, that I've just installed?
Thanks

Newuser38 21:58 19 Aug 03

My Medion, which comes with a recovery disc and an OEM XP home disc, also has a recovery partition. "Attention" say Medion " If you delete X:\Recover or the files located there recovery is no longer possible." But they continue " for safety reasons you can copy the .exe file and all other .OOX files to a CD recordable"

As I understand all the previous threads on this and similar queries PC manufacturers do not have to supply a disc, some will sell one as an extra.

powerless 22:04 19 Aug 03

"As I understand all the previous threads on this and similar queries PC manufacturers do not have to supply a disc, some will sell one as an extra."

Evesham actually supply da full del monte XP CD in with the puter.

alcudia 08:31 20 Aug 03

Why should you have to pay extra for a disc to which you are entitled. Powerless is right about Evesham. I have 35 of their XP machines on my network. Every one came with a recovery disc. However if OEM will sell you one it probably won't be more than a tenner. As a guide my home machine is an Advent. (yes I know) I was charged £5 for an extra recovery disc. (just in case). These discs are just images as explained by Kitz E Kat above.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…