'Copy and Paste' 30GB of data from a small HD to a bigger HD?

Graphicool1 15:50 PM 03 Dec 11

Windows 7

I am aware it's not usual to transfer a large amount such as this, in this manner. However, it would allow me to edit as I go.

My question is: Would it take any more time re-transfering the data, than doing a more conventional way and editing it after?

Graphicool1 16:11 PM 03 Dec 11

I think I should add that the bigger HD (1TB) isn't empty and neither is it partitioned. I am somewhat concerned that to do a straight disk to disk copy, might result in lost data on the TB drive. As in the past when I've used Hd to HD transfer software I wasn't given the choice of placement other the intended HD. It seemed to assume that the new host disk would be empty.

Aitchbee 16:22 PM 03 Dec 11

I used a free utility called Teracopy, to transfer about a million files from one hard disk to another.(80GB amount of data).It took about 2 hours.

Using Windows XP only, (for the same operation) - took about 1 day.

I haven't used Windows 7....yet.

Graphicool1 16:35 PM 03 Dec 11

Does 'Teracopy' allow you to specify a folder to transfer to. Or do you just press a button and say a prayer?

Aitchbee 16:42 PM 03 Dec 11

You use it at your own risk. I am sorry I can't be more helpful.

Teracopy was recommended a few months ago, by another forum member.

I always keep my fingers crossed :o]

robin_x 17:26 PM 03 Dec 11

SuperCopier is supposedly better/faster than Windows Copy. And can optionally (?) replace Windows Copy.

I installed it a while ago and it works fine (W7 64). You can throttle transfers so you can carry on working.

Graphicool1 17:40 PM 03 Dec 11

First off I have to thank AitchBEE (He beat you by a whisker robinofloxley) I downloaded, installed and it worked 'almost' like a charm. I say almost, because it skipped '30 Files', as yet I don't know why?

So now I come on to your offering robinofloxley as yet I haven't tried 'SuperCopier', but I will dowmload and give it a go. Cheers guy's.

Graphicool1 17:43 PM 03 Dec 11

I've just been and had a look and found that it's a beta, I'm not happy installing beta's at the best of times. Even less happy when, up front, they are telling you where to report the bugs when you find them!? I think I'll give this one a miss for the time being.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

HDR video: Everything you need to know

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know