Copy a non msdos disc

Bass99 21:22 13 Nov 03

I have a 8 year old computerised (not a pc driven) work machine, which has and is still giving me stirling service. The floppy disc backup is a killer.

Neither Windows or msdos will opperate with this disc format, so I have been using a dos program on my old 486 for backup, this is the only reason I keep the 486. This program will not run with Windows ME. The 486 monitor is on its last legs, where do I go?

Why does a dos based program that works with Widows 3.11 msdos 6.2, not work with ME, and can it be made to do so?

Or is there a disc copy system available that does a straight (non formated disc) copy?

Or do I buy a new monitor for the 486?

Advice please.

Rtus 21:44 13 Nov 03

This may or may not help .

click here

Daedrus 21:50 13 Nov 03

Check out WinImage, it creates an image file of the floppy.

click here

Diemmess 21:58 13 Nov 03

The monitor question should be much easier--- it should be replaceable by any standard CRT preferably without expensive gizmos or pedigree.

I can't think of a reason why a colour monitor should not work in a mono environment and to check first, can you borrow someone's to try?

If you were to look for a suitable mono monitor you might have to search, or pay a premium price.

Peter 22:11 13 Nov 03

You could try making a small, separate partition on your hard disk and loading a version of MS DOS, which supports your disk copying, on it. Using a boot manager you should be able to choose to boot to this MS DOS partition or your normal Windows partition, at will, at boot up.

I believe that Partition Magic provides these features.

Peter.

Peter 13:35 14 Nov 03

^

Bass99 19:20 14 Nov 03

Thank you for your sugestions.

I have tried WinImage, it does not work on this format. I would contact them but they don't give a contact.

I like the idea of loading up in dos, it's the way my 486 loads with autoexec loading Windows. I feel I have enough years and knowledge with computers to be at that dangerouse stage. When I update I might experiment with this one, the gamble of this one going down is to big. If or when it does, it is a new computer imediatly, it is more than a hobby, an essential work tool.

My 486 is colour, so it looks as if a new monitor is the way I am going.

Thank you for your advice, it is appreciated.

Bass99

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…