copy hard drive

zebbydog 13:20 08 Feb 04

I am sending my new pc back and want to copy the hard drive first.I have a spere 40 gb hd

The present hd has a cable to it and to the dvd rom if i fit my spare hd in place of the dvd rom can i then copy all my existing hd to my spare one. If so how do i set the jumpers on it.
Can i then fit it in a pc and copy it to that.
Thank you Zebby

zebbydog 13:21 08 Feb 04

Sorry forgot to say Win xp home

eskimo7 13:27 08 Feb 04

You can set the second hard drive up as "slave" to your main drive, then use a program like Norton Ghost to copy the entire contents of the drive, the second drive should have a slightly bigger capacity than the original

hoverman 13:50 08 Feb 04

Just a thought - but is your PC just going back for repair or for replacement. If the latter then Windows XP would have been activated for that PC and any copy should not be transferred to another.

Regarding the reply from eskimo7 and the second drive being slightly larger than the original, I would have thought it would depend on how much space has been used on the original. I have a 120GB drive, of which only 15 GB is used. I have successfully backed this up to an external 40GB drive using Drive Image 7.

Sheila-214876 14:53 08 Feb 04

Download a copy of xxclone from (would you believe) click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…