Copy fonts Win 98 1st Ed to Win 98 Second Ed

chilepicker 04:46 04 Aug 03

Is there a sure-fire way to copy fonts from a computer that runs Win98-1st Edition to one that
runs Win 98 Second Edition?

What I've tried so far copies lots of the fonts but not all of them.

Lú-tzé 07:50 04 Aug 03

Well, one way would be to go to the fonts folder in Win98 (first) and select all of them. Then copy them to another folder.

Zip this second folder and burn to a CD.

Go to win98 SE and create a new folder. Unzip the fonts to this.

Then in Win98SE go to the fonts applet in the Control Panel and choose install new font and point the wizard to the folder just created.

Can you explain a little what went wrong when trying to copy the files? It might be that some are system fonts and you tried to move them rahter than copy them.

chilepicker 17:07 04 Aug 03

Thanks Lu-tze:

The process you describe was one of the things I tried. Some of the files were copied to the new folder, but then an error message appeared: 'Cannot copy Arial', and the copy command terminated. I tried it again and got same result - error, and end
of copy.

What does the error message imply ?
Is there some registry error that caused 'copy' to

Jester2K II 17:09 04 Aug 03

No the Arial file is almost certainly in use.

However Arial is also on Windows 98SE so you don't need to copy it anyway.

You only need to identify the new ones you need and copy them over.

Diemmess 17:45 04 Aug 03

I think I am saying exactly what Jester2K II is saying but putting it differently !

COPY your windows\fonts folder to a new named folder on same computer.

Then burn a CD to store this new folder

Now using the Win98SE computer open Windows\fonts and from the dropdown File menu pick Install new fonts.

Select the CD which should be in the slot by now and you will see it busy making up a list of available fonts which eventually are displayed for you.

Best to select only what you want, because if you select all, then you will spend the next few minutes reading messages, that "this font.... is already" there, please delete it first before installing the new one!

chilepicker 18:06 06 Aug 03

Thanks to all respondents: the problem has been solved, and I thank you for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…