Copy Emails

Gary 20:36 10 Feb 03

I'm using Outlook Express as my email software. I want to backup some messages to a CD and have tried dragging the messages from the Inbox folder to a new folder I've created on my Desktop. This works and copies the messages there naming them according the the email subject. The trouble is that a large number of the emails have the same subject and so I get the option of either not copying them or overwriting the previous email with that name. What I really need to do is find some way of telling Windows to rename files which have the same name, for example by adding (1), (2), (3) etc.

I have looked at the message export options of OE but this only allows export of a complete folder and the whole folder must be copied back into OE before the messages are accessible, whereas my way each individual mail can be opened directly from the CD.

Does anyone know how I can set windows to rename the files, or or another way to export the individual files?

DieSse 20:49 10 Feb 03

Choose File - Save As - then you can call them what you like.

Qmar 21:02 10 Feb 03

click here

.. I found a freeware version of this on a coverdisc..

there must be many other ways..
why not just copy the .dbx files ?..If u want details of the mag.edtn. it was in please ask.

Have u searched this forum?

Gary 21:12 10 Feb 03

to those of you who have replied to this posting. However, there are upwards of three hundred emails so saving each one in turn will take too long.

The reason I don't want to copy the DBX files is that if I do this, to access any of the messages I would have to reinstall the entire inbox they are stored in. However, the way I want to do it keeps the files as .eml so they can still be individually opened.

QMAR - the program you suggest looks good - but is only a trial. I want to archive them for future use so really need a solution that will not expire after 30 days and whilst I realised I could pay to register this program - I think I'd rather manually rename them all than pay!

Any other suggestions gratefully received.

MAJ 21:22 10 Feb 03

Try this, Gary, click here, it looks close to what you want.

MAJ 21:28 10 Feb 03

Or maybe this one. click here

Gary 22:47 10 Feb 03

The trouble is, that for the utilities you suggest, the files all have to be in the same folder to start with. They are currently only in my inbox and so I cannot run the software on them, and I can't copy them to a folder because it is at this point I get an error saying that the destination folder already contains a file with the same name.

Qmar 23:10 10 Feb 03

If u really want.. I can try to upload the version to 'web store'... u have broadband ?

woodchip 23:19 10 Feb 03

Open Explorer click on windows folder click on Application Data/Identities expand till you get to Outlook Express all your E-Mails are there in the inbox file

woodchip 23:20 10 Feb 03

PS if you double click the file you can open in notepad or wordpad

woodchip 23:24 10 Feb 03

You should be able to copy E-Mail part and paste

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…