Copy from damaged laptop to pc

bazb 15:48 08 Mar 09

Hi all

my granddaughter has got a damaged laptop (scree broken, also when we connect a monitor to it, it shows the windows (vista)startup logo, then just goes blank. The screen on the laptop is lit up, as though it's trying to work. No matter what we do we cannot get anything on to the monitor.

Would it in some way be possible to connect the laptop to a vista pc, and be able to get some of the information of off the harddrive, some student work and pictures, and no she does not have a full back up. Most of her student work his kept on a usb flash drive, but there is still some information she would like to recover if possible.

Thanks Barry

howard64 15:56 08 Mar 09

normally there is a key combination to change from the built in screen to the attached screen. It is often a case of pressing the fn key and 1 other. Your manual should tell you or give the model and we could look it up for you.

johndrew 16:00 08 Mar 09

Probably the easiest way would be to remove the HDD from the laptop and use a HDD dock click here or caddy click here (other sources also available) to connect it to the PC.

Make certain you buy the correct type for the drive. It is almost certainly a 2.5" HDD but may be either IDE or SATA depending on the age/make of the laptop.

mgmcc 16:19 08 Mar 09

>>> it shows the windows (vista)startup logo, then
>>> just goes blank.

That sounds as though the Laptop's settings, Resolution and/or Refresh Rate, are incompatible with the Monitor. LCD Monitors are unpredictable when not used with their native settings. If you were able to lay your hands on an old CRT monitor, that is more likely to be able to display the output from the Laptop.

>>> Would it in some way be possible to connect
>>> the laptop to a vista pc, and be able to get
>>> some of the information of off the harddrive,
>>> some student work and pictures

Only if the Laptop had previously been used in a network and the relevant folders were set as "shared". They might then be accessible from another PC connected directly with an ethernet cable.

ashdav 16:40 08 Mar 09

"Only if the Laptop had previously been used in a network and the relevant folders were set as "shared". They might then be accessible from another PC connected directly with an ethernet cable."
Rubbish.The computer does not work so how can files be "shared" over a network?
johndrew has the answer.

bazb 16:55 08 Mar 09

howard64

have tried fn + f10 key which his the combination for the Laptop. (Fujitsu Amilo LI 2727)

johndrew

I'm almost certain it's a SATA drive but would know for certain once it's removed, could it be put into the PC as a slave drive and read that way.

mgmcc

I,m almost certain it has not been networked but will connect a ethernet cable to see if will connect to my network, and show up in the setup.

Oh but for a CRT monitor, I've not used one for a couple of years now, gave mine away to local comunity group.

johndrew 11:40 10 Mar 09

"I'm almost certain it's a SATA drive ..."

It may be a bit awkward as PCs are designed for 3.5" drives, but with care it may be possible as I believe the power/data cables are the same.

You need to be very careful the bady of the drive doesn`t contact/short anything else or you may need a new motherboard/PC.

mgmcc 17:12 10 Mar 09

>>> Rubbish.The computer does not work so how can >>> files be "shared" over a network?

No it isn't "Rubbish". If a computer can be booted successfully, even without a monitor, then any "shared" folders would still be accessible over a network. At one time, I regularly accessed one of my PCs over a network with no monitor connected to it.

I don't normally post messages without knowing what I'm talking about.

howard64 17:43 10 Mar 09

I recently bought a small unit £20 which has a usb plug 1 end and you can attache both ide and sata drives to it and it also accepts laptop 2.5 drives. Once plugged in you can read/write to and from the drive which would allow you to transfer stuff.

bazb 18:35 14 Mar 09

Thanks everybody

I removed the laptop HDD and placed it in my PC using the SATA connectors, was able to read the HDD but most of the files had been lost because she had attemted a repair of the operating system.

We managed to salvage most of the lost files and a lot more using O&O MediaRecovery.

Just got to try and get the laptop up and running before purchasing a new screen. She does not have a copy of the back up discs that she should have made when she first started, but I managed to get a copy of Vista and the drivers whilst the laptop was connected to the PC. If they do not work then she will have to purchase the discs from Fujitsu.

amethyst28 18:49 14 Mar 09

Hi, just thought I'd let you know I recently rang Fujitsu myself about getting replacement Vista recovery discs, as mine got lost in a house move. Their answer was that Microsoft do not allow them to do this, and the only option would be to buy another copy of Vista from Microsoft!! This, surprise surprise, was echoed by Microsoft when I rang them up to ask.

On a brighter note, I ended up using the discs provided with a Dell desktop also running Vista Home Premium, and that worked, so hopefully you'll be OK with the copy you've managed to get hold of.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…