Copy cassettes to hdd/cd

frenchman96 18:27 14 Sep 10

Hi Guys

Anyone done much copying from cassette to cd or hard drive?

Just did a Google and apparently it can be done free if you have the right cables.

Audacity was mentioned a bit but I thought you guys may have experience to guide me.

ArrGee 18:30 14 Sep 10

Very easy to do. I recorded a whole load of VHS tapes, but for music cassettes use Audacity (as you mentioned) as it will record any sound going through your PC. The cables depend on your sound card or input, so it could be co-ax (red, white) or jack (usually used for microphones)

eedcam 18:43 14 Sep 10

Hi if you do a search on this forum you will find several postings on this topic .Basically yes al you need is a connection either from your line out on your player or earphone socket to the line in on the pc . install audacity and there are plenty of tutorials on its site . By all means still ask if you cant find or grasp the subject
If you have line out from your player this adappter click here will run thenm into one for the pc .I f you have only a headphone then look for a lead that fits both the headphone scket and the pc socket (stereo)

john bunyan 18:45 14 Sep 10

See my post here:
click here

john bunyan 18:47 14 Sep 10

Audacity is a free software music editing programme.Good for your purpose. See other links above how to get the music in to the PC.

frenchman96 08:42 15 Sep 10

Thanks guys, I am JUST about to download Audacity

Proclaimer 11:46 15 Sep 10

'Thanks guys, I am JUST about to download Audacity'

Make sure you add the LAME Encoder to that then so that you can convert the file to MP3

eedcam 12:19 15 Sep 10

If you are going to burn to CD as an audio CD forget lame no point in using mp3

frenchman96 13:42 15 Sep 10

Hi Guys

I have already installed Audacity, taken pics of my sockets on player and laptop, but cant attach on this forum?

have opened Audacity but cant follow first instructions so if anyone uses this prog, I would appreciate a step x step to get me going.

I only need to copy them to HDD as I can do the converting/burning myself.

Diemmess 13:45 15 Sep 10

Before you get too excited, make sure the cassette player output matches electronically the input to the computer.

You may have to buy a pre-amplifier (Maplin) to fit in the connecting circuit and give a recording of any quality.

frenchman96 13:57 15 Sep 10

Diemmess

And how do I do that?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced