Copy Address Book

Foxy Loxy 11:21 16 Apr 06

I have inherited a refurbished desktop computer with Windows ME and Outlook Express. I have already started adding senders of e-mails to the address book on this desktop but I also have quite a big address book, including some groups of people, on my old laptop that has Windows 98 and Outlook Express, which I would like to copy across to the desktop.
(I can get access to the Internet on both desktop and laptop but not at the same time).
Assuming this is the right approach, I've tried to reason how I might export or import this address book but come unstuck with everything I've tried and I'm frightened of doing something wrong and losing important information. Can someone please help me to safely copy these addresses from the laptop to the desktop. Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:24 16 Apr 06

Export Your Outlook Express Address Book

1. On the File menu, click Export, and then click Address Book.
2. Click Text File (Comma Separated Values), and then click Export.
3. Click Browse.
4. Locate the Mail Backup folder that you created.
5. In the File Name box, type address book backup, and then click Save.
6. Click Next.
7. Click to select the check boxes for the fields that you want to export, and then click Finish.
8. Click OK and then click Close.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:25 16 Apr 06

Back up and recover Outlook Express
click here
Search your old computer for files ending .dbx. These are your emails. There should be Inbox.dbx, Outbox.dbx, Drafts.dbx etc. There must also be Folders.dbx, this is the data telling OE how the emails are compressed. Save all these dbx files, then you can either import them into OE on your new computer, or overwrite the files of the same name in the new computer. Look for a file called (name).wab, this is your address book, and a folder called Favorites. Save these and either import or overwrite to transfer them.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:30 16 Apr 06

Import the Address Book File

To import your Outlook Express address book:

1. On the File menu, click Import, and then click Other Address Book.
2. Click Text File (Comma Separated Values), and then click Import.
3. Click Browse.
4. Locate the Mail Backup folder in your backup location, click the address book backup.csv file, and then

click Open.
5. Click Next, and then click Finish.
6. Click OK, and then click Close.

Foxy Loxy 13:43 16 Apr 06

Thanks for that Fruitbat. I will try to follow what you say today - or it may be tomorrow with other Easter commitments - and I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks.

Foxy Loxy 12:16 26 Apr 06

Finally got the job done with no losses thanks to you Fruitbat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…