Copied files are now "read-only"

splinternet 09:21 14 Feb 04

I copied a load of files (.xls, .doc. etc....) from my XP system onto CD using Nero, then transferred them to my Win98 system. Here, I find that every file has been set to Read-Only, and even when I reset the flag I still can't edit .xls files.

y_not 09:28 14 Feb 04

Save the files to HDD and then uncheck the read only box - should work

Diodorus Siculus 09:30 14 Feb 04

Get CROA from click here - a little program which will Clear Read Only Attributes - fast and easy.

Diemmess 09:36 14 Feb 04

Any file copied to a CD becomes read only.

Even so, you can open, print, and edit such files, but the changes are lost when you close unless you save to a Hard disk or CDRW.

If the changes are going to be important it is better to save the file to HD first, in case you have a memory or o/s problem which could lose all your new work, but not the original read-only file

splinternet 10:12 14 Feb 04

Diodorus Siculus, thanks for the CROA tip. It's done the trick, apart from one particular .xls which I still can't even open for edit. Message comes up in Excel: "The file may be read-only (it isn't now) or you may be trying to access a read-only location (not true - it's the same folder as other .xls files which I can access ok). Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding (??)".

VoG II 10:35 14 Feb 04

I suspect that the file that won't open is damaged. There are links to methods for recovering information from corrupt workbooks at the bottom of click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…