copied cds won't play

jammin 09:36 24 Jun 05

just started burning cds and have encountered a bit of a problem, I'm copying original cds to play on another cd player and they copy fine and will play on the pc but not on the cd player. Hope this makes sense. I'm using the software that came with the pc - sonic - and it asks if I want to copy cds to play on a home/car cd player, which I do. The cds I'm using are memorex cd-rw 1x-4x. When the cd is put into a cd player it just sits there looking gormless.

Kate B 10:05 24 Jun 05

hmm, are you copying on the fly? You might try extracting the audio files to your PC's hard drive in the native .wav format and then burning those to a CD ...

sicknote 10:06 24 Jun 05

I think you will find that CD-RW will not work in all Car/home player.You have to use CD-R for them to work

jammin 10:08 24 Jun 05

thanks i'll try both suggestions and let you know what happens

B4HS 10:17 24 Jun 05

Others will know more about this but I have had this problem too. More than one cause.

Elementary one is that you didn't click 'close session' when burning the CD.

Complicated is that some CD's contain anti-copying stuff which modern CD players pick up and won't play. My lazy solution is just to play the copies on older, cheaper CD players. Am told that a way around this is to save the CD to your computer in some form other than WAV and then to use software that will convert it back to WAV before it burns the CD.

Smiler 10:31 24 Jun 05

Unless the player you are using states that it will play CD-RW discs then you're out of luck.
You will need to use CD-R discs only.

jammin 11:55 01 Jul 05

although the cds wouldnt play on my cd player - they do play in my friends car cd etc, so the problem is with the cd player - thanks for the suggestions

Curio 19:00 01 Jul 05

that you are burning the discs at too high a speed. Come down to 4x and see what that does.

Totally-braindead 19:03 01 Jul 05

As the others have said its the CDRW disks thats the problem, if you write to CDRs instead you won't have the problem.

woodchip 19:10 01 Jul 05

Not all players support CDRW

tenplus1 19:27 01 Jul 05

When burning audio cd's to play in your hi-fi or car stereo system, make sure you burn them as DAO (Disk-At-Once) and chose a slow burning speed to make sure it'll work...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…