coolpix 3100

woody 14:21 27 Apr 04

I have reached the point where i think i should replace my (old) 35mmSLR with a digcam.
The above is 3mp with 3x optical zoom.Cost £150.
It will be used mainly for close up (6 inch) and street scenes.With prints not more than say 8inchx10inch.
What does concern me is some reviews state it is very flimsy (i can carry my slr in the boot and no problem) and that the shutter does not respond for up to a sec -IE you press the button but nothing happens for up to a sec or so.
What does the panel think of this choice and do you have any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any help.

anchor 15:45 27 Apr 04

All digital cameras suffer to varying degrees from the delay between pressing the button and the picture actually being taken. It does seem that the Nikon, at about 1 second, is higher than some.

You might like to consider the Canon A75, which, (according to tests), is about 0.6 secs.

Nikon coolpix 3100 review

click here

Canon A75 review

click here

deadneat 15:59 27 Apr 04

click here
I know 4 people who have purchased this camera from the link. I also think this is a nice camera and its about £100 less now than when I got mine. Get a 256 card and 2000mA MNH batts.

Masterspy 19:03 27 Apr 04

Go for a 5Mp camera so you can reduce print size and increase dpi bearing in mind the size of print you want. I don't think you will be able to take action shots!

anchor 19:53 27 Apr 04

The Canon A70 has been replaced by the new A75.

click here

deadneat 20:50 27 Apr 04

Doh click here I thought the A80 replaced the A70. Looks like quite a few more improvements have been made and a bigger LCD, the histogram of an image, and the Intelligent Orientation sensor, which senses if the camera is being held vertically or horizontally, has been added. Looks worth the few extra quid!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant