Cooling Fans?

Modumus Prime 15:21 21 Oct 03

I've had my PC just over a year and its recently starting to make a fair bit of noise - i think its one of my fans (case fan of CPU fan). I know i have to probably buy a new one (which don't cost much) but im not entirely sure what type of fan to go for???

My processor is an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ if that helps?

tag1_uk 15:56 21 Oct 03

You should easily be able to get a generic replacement to your cooling fan or case fan from any reputable online computer store such as Dabs, Simply, Watford etc. Normally when you look for processor fans the specs will tell you for what type of processor it is for and the maximum speed of processor it can safely cool (faster processors generate more heat so need more efficient coolers). You could try booting your PC with the case fan disconnected (do this briefly and NEVER disconnect the processor fan). This should help to identify exactly which component is making the noise.

If you do need to change the processor fan, leave the heat sink in place if at all possible and just screw a new fan on top. If you have to remove the heat sink as well, you'll need to get some thermal paste.

FRANKMAC 16:18 21 Oct 03

I have recently replaced my processor fan (same reason) - i splashed out on a fan with a ballbearing assembly rather than a sleeve type, they are a few quid extra but well worth it, its very quiet. Maplin's have a reasonable selection.

Simon_P 17:20 21 Oct 03

click here

For every ocaision

Simon_P 17:23 21 Oct 03

Ment here
click here

You will probably have to get the heatsink and fan together.

You may also need thermal paste, to go between heatsink and CPU

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…